Northgate Link Extension
No events are scheduled
- Sep 28, 2016: Sound Transit contractor completes mining last tunnel segment for Northgate Link Extension
- Aug 31, 2016: Tunneling for Northgate Link nears completion
- Aug 19, 2016: Rescheduled: Continued geotechnical investigation along 12th Avenue NE
- Jul 18, 2016: Continued geotechnical investigation along 12th Avenue NE
- Link light rail
Start of service:
Open for service: 2021
Northgate Link Extension will connect the Northgate, Roosevelt and U District neighborhoods to downtown Seattle and the airport. Fast, reliable service will provide relief to one of the region's most congested traffic areas.
Length: 4.3 miles
Ride time: 14 minutes from Northgate to downtown
Budget: $1.9 billion
Construction type: tunnel, elevated and surface
Funding partners: Construction funding is combination of federal grants, motor vehicle excise tax (MVET) and local sales tax
- Seattle Area
- Sound Transit contractor completes mining last tunnel segment for Northgate Link ExtensionSep 28, 2016: On Sept. 1, Sound Transit contractors completed mining the last tunnel segment for the Northgate Link Extension twin tunnels when the tunnel boring machine holed through the wall of a retrieval shaft at the University of Washington Station.
- Tunneling for Northgate Link nears completionAug 31, 2016: Northgate Link is poised to reach a major milestone in the next several days.
- Rescheduled: Continued geotechnical investigation along 12th Avenue NEAug 19, 2016: Starting Monday, Aug. ...
- Tunnel boring machine retrieval preparation at University of Washington StationJul 28, 2016: Mining of the final tunnel section that will serve southbound light rail trains is nearly complete.
- Continued geotechnical investigation along 12th Avenue NEJul 18, 2016: Starting Wednesday, July 20th, Sound Transit's contractor will conduct one additional ground boring test at the corner of NE Ravenna Blvd. and 12th Ave NE. This work is expected to take 3-4 days to complete.