Tacoma Link Expansion
The 1.6-mile Tacoma Link light rail line currently serves six stations between the Theater District and Tacoma Dome Station. Trains run every 12 minutes during the day and served one million riders in 2012. Voters approved Sound Transit 2 in 2008, which included funding for a partnership to explore options for expanding Tacoma Link.
This project will identify and study alternative travel corridors for expanding the Tacoma Link system and produce a project financing plan that identifies committed and potential funding sources. Sound Transit, in cooperation with the City of Tacoma and Pierce Transit, engaged the community to help identify a range of alternatives, study these alternatives and determine a preferred alternative for expansion. Sound Transit will continue to engage the community throughout conceptual design and environmental review for the selected alignment.
Project phase: Environmental review
- Spring 2015: Present environmental evaluation findings to the public; begin preliminary design; seek public input on findings and design; prepare public comments for Sound Transit Board of Directors as they prepare to select the alignment to be built (June 2015)
- February 2015: Sound Transit notified Tacoma Link Expansion included in President Obama's proposed 2016 budget for $74.99 million small starts grant
- Winter 2014/2015: Finalize environmental evaluation in accordance with Federal Transportation Administration, National Environmental Protection Agency and State Environmental Protection Agency
- Winter Spring/Summer 2014: Begin conceptual engineering on selected alignment and environmental analysis. Identify station locations and site options to expand the existing operations and maintenance facility.
- Winter 2013: Sound Transit identifies alignment for potential expansion
- Summer 2013: Complete early technical work on the corridor alignment/Negotiate new scope of work with the consultant
- Fall 2013: Identify potential route alignments
Tacoma Link Expansion Environmental Evaluation Reports
Jun 24, 2015: Tacoma Link Expansion Environmental Evaluation Reports
Tacoma Link Expansion Folio - Fall 2014
Sep 24, 2014: Tacoma Link Expansion project overview
Tacoma Link Expansion May 2014 Outreach Summary
Sep 3, 2014: Tacoma Link Expansion May 2014 Outreach Summary
Tacoma Link Expansion Folio May 2014
Aug 12, 2014: Tacoma Link Expansion Project Overview May 2014
Sound Transit is committed to communicating with Tacoma residents and businesses about the project and providing meaningful opportunities to get involved. You can:
- Receive advance notice about public meetings and opportunities to provide input through local newspapers, blogs, project mailings and this website. Subscribe
- Attend public meetings to hear project updates, learn how decisions will be made and provide comments.