Because parking fills up quickly at many Sound Transit facilities, riders often tell us they are frustrated. To help regular transit riders have more certainty about finding a parking space during busy morning commute hours, in 2014 a permit parking option is being introduced at four of Sound Transit's busiest stations. Free parking for transit riders will still be available at all Sound Transit parking facilities.
If you take the bus or train at least three times per week, you may find that buying a permit is a great option. This pilot program offers permit parking to solo drivers and carpools (two or more transit riders in a vehicle). Permits cost $5 per quarter for carpools and $33 per quarter for solo drivers. Fees will help offset costs to administer the six-month pilot program.
How the program works:
- You must have and use a valid ORCA card or U-Pass to apply for a permit.
- Your ORCA card (or U-Pass) use must confirm at least three transit trips per week from the requested parking facility.
- Permits will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis determined by application date and time.
- No refunds are allowed.
- For carpool permits, all riders must be included in the application in order to validate the carpool. Failure to do so will result in non-issuance of a permit. Only one permit will be issued per carpool, and carpool members are not also eligible for solo permits.
- Permits for the first quarter of the pilot expire on April 30, 2014.
- One renewal was available for those with first quarter permits. Those who did not renew by April 11 must reapply to participate in the pilot from May - July.
- Apply for a permit for the second quarter of 2014 (valid May 1 - July 31).
If you receive a permit:
- Hang it from your vehicle's rear-view mirror when you park at the station so it is readable through the windshield.
- Permitted-only spaces are reserved between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m Monday through Friday. After 10 a.m. anyone can park in those spots.
- Permit parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis to permit holders.
April 16 apply for a permit
Valid May 1 - July 31
Carpool permit $5/quarter
Apply for a permit
Application is a two-step process:
First, fill out the application form.
Sound Transit will confirm your eligibility and respond within 10 days.
You will receive a confirmation email with a link for online payment. After payment is processed, your parking permit will be mailed to your home address.
Information about the board-approved 2014 pilot to test several strategies for helping customers access public transit by managing parking more efficiently.