Learn More about Permit Parking
To help transit riders find parking quickly and reliably, Sound Transit will offer permit parking at its busiest lots and garages starting in 2016.
- Sound Transit tested permits during a 2014 pilot project.
- Participants said they liked the program, would participate again and enjoyed the flexibility and predictability the permits offered.
- The Sound Transit Board approved a program to expand permit parking to more park-and-rides in the region.
Carpool permits for two or more transit riders, available as early as mid-2016.
Permits for solo drivers (rates to be determined in the future by Sound Transit Board of Directors) available in late 2016 or 2017.
- Transit customers must have and use a valid ORCA card to apply for a permit.
- Permit parking would be reserved for permit holders during morning rush hours Monday through Friday. On weekends and after morning rush hour on weekdays, transit riders would be able to park in permit spaces without a permit. Rush hours will vary by station.
- Renewal will require the permit holder’s ORCA records to show they rode transit at least three times per week during the previous permit term. Flexibility will be allowed for time away (such as vacation).
- Carpool permit holders must arrive with at least two transit riders in the permitted vehicle.
- At least 50% of parking spaces at each location would remain available for transit riders without parking permits.
Locations that could be included
- Angle Lake Station (opening 2016)
- Auburn Station
- Federal Way Transit Center
- Issaquah Transit Center
- Kent Station
- Mercer Island Park-and-Ride
- Puyallup Station
- Sumner Station
- Tukwila Station
- Tukwila Int’l Blvd Station
These lots and garages have very high demand or likely will when open (Angle Lake Station). Additional locations may be added in the future.
More information will be available in 2016.