U District Station
This station is located on Brooklyn Ave NE between NE 45th and NE 43rd streets. It will serve the surrounding residential community, the "Ave" business district, other employment sites, the UW Tower and the north University of Washington campus.
Riders will board trains underground. The station will have two entrances along Brooklyn Ave NE with elevators, escalators and stairs. The station will have about 100 bike parking spaces. The site is designed to accommodate future development above the station. This station was known as "Brooklyn Station" during earlier planning stages. Its official name is now U District Station. Sound Transit's policy on naming facilities is available online.
When the station opens, riders will be able to travel to the airport in 41 minutes and to Northgate in about 5 minutes.
Mode: Link light rail
Opens for service: 2021
Rider projection: Northgate Link Extension is projected to add over 60,000 daily riders to the Link System by 2030
Ride times (average): U District to Westlake, 8 minutes
U District to Sea-Tac Airport, 41 minutes
U District to Northgate Station, 5 minutes
Project phase: Design & construction
Station: Cut and cover
Tunnels: Tunnel boring machines excavate and build northbound and southbound train tunnels
Funding partners: Federal grants, motor vehicle excise tax (MVET) and local sales tax
Sound Transit will refine the design of the station in 2014-2015. The next stage, called 90 percent design, will be presented to the public in mid-2015.
- Station platform will be about 80 feet below ground
- Two station entrances: one adjacent to the Neptune Theatre on Brooklyn Ave NE and the other at NE 43rd Street and Brooklyn Ave NE
- Elevators, escalators and stairs at each entrance
- Ticket vending machines
- Covered bicycle storage (approximately 100 spaces)
- Public art
The 90 percent design will include details about:
- Station architectural features
- Pedestrian, bicycle and bus connections
- Station construction schedule and method
- Redevelopment opportunities above the station
- Permanent public art
Construction of the Northgate Link Extension began in fall 2012. View construction progress on the project webcam.
Crews are currently supporting tunneling activities between the U District Station site and the University of Washington Station.
Brooklyn Avenue NE between NE 43rd and NE 45th streets is closed to traffic and pedestrians from 2013-2020.
Sound Transit is maintaining access for pedestrians and bicyclists along NE 43rd Street at Brooklyn Ave NE. A pathway adjacent to Varsity Arms condos is open 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday (except holidays).
Demolition and initial activities, early 2013 (complete)
- Remove hazardous materials from buildings prior to demolition.
- Demolish and remove existing buildings at the future station site.
- Salvage and recycle demolition materials. Sound Transit's sustainability goals include salvaging, reusing and recycling a minimum of 75 percent of demolition materials.
Utility relocation, early 2013 - mid 2014 (complete)
- Sound Transit, Seattle City Light, Puget Sound Energy and communications companies relocated overhead power lines, phone lines and internet lines.
- Relocating underground gas, water, stormwater and power lines.
Station excavation, mid 2014 - early 2015 (underway)
- Build a construction wall around the site to reduce dust and noise.
- Install soil retention walls to support excavation activities.
- Open a new pedestrian pathway adjacent to Varsity Arms condos.
- Excavate the underground light rail station to a depth of 95 feet.
- Pour a concrete surface to support the tunnel boring machines and support equipment.
Tunnel construction, late 2015- early 2017 (underway)
- Bore two tunnels. Tunneling began at Maple Leaf Portal and crews have one section left to build between the U District Station site and the University of Washington Station.
- Dig cross-passages for safety. Cross passages are small, person-sized tunnels that connect the north and southbound train tunnels.
- Nighttime noise variance applies during tunnel construction.
Station construction, late 2017 - mid 2020
- Build the station, including floors, stairs, mezzanines, elevators and the above ground entrances.
- Restore landscaping, streets and sidewalks.
- Reopen Brooklyn Ave NE between NE 45th and NE 43rd streets.
Systems installation and testing, late 2018 - late 2020
- Install rails and communications, electrical, emergency and other systems in the tunnels and stations.
- Test systems and test-run light rail trains.
Temporary art during construction
Sound Transit plans to keep neighborhoods active and interesting during construction. That includes launching a temporary art program for the construction sites in the U-District, Roosevelt and Maple Leaf/Northgate neighborhoods.
D.K. Pan is lead artist for the U District Temporary Art Project.
Installed in May 2015:
U District B Side by Emily Gussin
Life Cycle by Baldman Watching
No events are scheduled
- Apr 29, 2016: Project update: Northgate Link tunnel boring machines being refurbished and dismantled
- Feb 11, 2016: Saturday Lane Closure: Northbound lane on Montlake Blvd NE between NE Pacific Street and Place
- Feb 3, 2016: Project Update: Northgate Link Extension February 2016
- Dec 31, 2015: Project Update: Northgate Link Extension
- Nov 23, 2015: Project Update: Northgate Link Extension November 2015
- Oct 30, 2015: Project Update: Northgate Link Extension October 2015
- Sep 29, 2015: Weekend Closures: Banner Way NE and NE 80th Street
- Aug 18, 2015: Site work starting at 6 a.m. Aug. 20; Early morning concrete pour Aug. 25
- Jul 21, 2015: Construction alert: U District Station
- Jul 16, 2015: Early morning work hours planned for Monday and Tuesday, July 20-21