Sound Transit is partnering with the City of Kent to create a vision for future development near the Kent Des Moines Link light rail station, focused on the opportunities created through easy access to transit. Kent Des Moines Station is one of three new stations being constructed as part of the Federal Way Link Extension. The area around the station is part of the City of Kent’s plans for the Midway neighborhood. Together we’re working to identify opportunities to bring housing affordable to people with a range of incomes, as well as commercial and community-serving uses to the site.
Sound Transit purchased roughly four acres of land near the new station site, near the intersection of State Route 99 and Kent-Des Moines Road, to store equipment and mobile offices through construction of the light rail extension. When construction is complete, we will make much of that property available for transit-oriented development (TOD). Adding new transit-oriented uses such as housing, retail, and community-oriented activities can help create a vibrant neighborhood that’s seamlessly connected to regional transit.
In 2020 and 2021, we worked to learn more about the community's vision for TOD near the new station. We provided several opportunities for folks in the area and along the light rail extension to share ideas and reactions to potential uses for the land. Our Community Engagement report is available here (see the Documents section for summaries in six languages).
In 2022, we prepared an offering strategy and project goals for the two future TOD sites in partnership with the City of Kent and our affordable housing funding partners. In August, the Sound Transit Board of Directors approved the strategy and directed staff to offer the sites to create mixed-use, mixed-income development that prioritizes and maximizes affordable housing. You can read the Board’s action here.
In December 2022, we released two Requests for Proposal – one for the north site, and one for the south site. For more information about these opportunities, please visit Sound Transit’s online vendor portal.
- Spring 2023: North TOD Site proposal evaluation
- March 30: North Site proposals due - Complete**
- August 9, 2023: Pre-proposal conference for prospective bidders. Please visit our vendor portal for more information.
- Fall 2023: South TOD Site proposal evaluation
- October 12: South Site proposals due
- December: Select top-ranked proposal and begin negotiations
* Note: Milestone dates are subject to change
** Note: Sound Transit has entered negotiations with the selected developer for the North TOD Site.
- About four acres of land available for redevelopment once transit project construction is complete.
- The project is expected to include a mix of uses and have housing units for households with a range of incomes, including long-term affordable housing.
- Construction anticipated to start in 2025.