Read the Pierce County 2020 Progress Report
More transit for Pierce County
During the next five years, getting around is getting easier. Learn more about Sound Transit's progress building and operating an expanding system in Pierce County and how you can let us get you where you need to go.
Getting around is getting easier
A 7-minute ride takes you from Husky Stadium to the new NHL practice facility at Northgate.
Grab lunch in the Stadium District between classes at UW Tacoma.
Ride from Northgate to the Microsoft campus, or hop on at Bellevue's new Spring District neighborhood or Mercer Island and cross Lake Washington to downtown Seattle or the U District.
Extending Link north, south and east
No schedule needed to get you to destinations on I-405, SR 518, SR 522 or NE 145th St. Step off a Stride bus and onto Link light rail at Shoreline, Lynnwood, Bellevue or Tukwila.
Link light rail: Six new stations connecting downtown Tacoma to the Stadium and Hilltop neighborhoods // Opens 2022
- Partnering with City of Tacoma, relocated and upgraded utilities along the Link route. Began laying track and installing power.
- Loyal to the Local campaign launched to support businesses in the construction zone. Join in with your support.
- Complete track and start building stations while continuing to manage construction cost risks.
Link light rail: Tacoma Dome to Sea-Tac Airport in 35 minutes // Opens 2030
- Regional light rail comes to Pierce County, joining Sounder, Tacoma Link and ST Express services.
- 4 new stations: South Federal Way, Fife, Portland Avenue and Tacoma Dome.
- New parking at Fife and South Federal Way stations and short walk to catch the Tacoma Link at Tacoma Dome. Local bus routes will connect to stations.
- Developed alternative route and station locations with help from broad public input, the Puyallup Tribe of Indians and local jurisdictions.
- The Sound Transit Board chose the preferred alternative and other alternatives to study in an Environmental Impact Statement.
- Learn more about route options and station area refinements
Link light rail: Federal Way to Sea-Tac Airport in 15 minutes // Opens 2024
- Starting point for light rail extension to Pierce County.
- 3 new stations: Kent/Des Moines near Highline College, S 272nd and Federal Way Transit Center.
- 3,200 parking spaces and frequent bus connections from Pierce County to Federal Way Transit Center for light rail to Sea-Tac Airport and regional destinations.
- Advanced route and station designs and acquired property.
- Groundbreaking and start of construction.
Parking: More parking at Puyallup and Sumner stations // Open 2022 and 2023
- Puyallup garage and 165 surface parking spaces as well as bicycle and sidewalk improvements.
- Sumner garage and local sidewalk and lighting enhancements.
- New garages at Kent and Auburn stations open in 2024.
- Sound Transit Board selected contractor to design and build the Puyallup garage.
- City of Sumner began rebuilding the Traffic Avenue/410 interchange and improving sidewalks near the station with funding contributions from Sound Transit.
- Finalize Pierce County garage designs and prepare to start construction.
Sounder: Expansion projects to serve more Sounder riders // all complete by 2036
- Sounder South Capacity Expansion to serve more passengers could include additional service, expanding platforms to serve trains up to 10 cars long and other updates to Sumner, Puyallup, Tacoma Dome, South Tacoma, Lakewood and south King County stations.
- Launched planning with initial public involvement to determine best investments.
- Identify and begin planning first round of projects.
Sounder: Two new Sounder stations south of Lakewood // Open 2036
- 2 stations with parking at Tillicum and DuPont to serve Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
Bus rapid transit: Supporting Pierce Transit’s bus rapid transit project from Spanaway to downtown Tacoma // Opens 2022
- Connects riders from Spanaway/Parkland to Tacoma Dome transit hub and downtown Tacoma.
- Sound Transit is contributing $60 million to Pierce Transit, who will build and operate the service.