Read the Seattle Area 2020 Progress Report
More transit for Seattle
During the next five years, getting around is getting easier. Learn more about Sound Transit's progress building and operating an expanding system in the Seattle area and how you can let us get you where you need to go.
Getting around is getting easier
A 7-minute ride takes you from Husky Stadium to the new NHL practice facility at Northgate.
Grab lunch in the Stadium District between classes at UW Tacoma.
Ride from Northgate to the Microsoft campus, or hop on at Bellevue's new Spring District neighborhood or Mercer Island and cross Lake Washington to downtown Seattle or the U District.
Extending Link north, south and east
No schedule needed to get you to destinations on I-405, SR 518, SR 522 or NE 145th St. Step off a Stride bus and onto Link light rail at Shoreline, Lynnwood, Bellevue or Tukwila.
Link light rail: Northgate to downtown Seattle in 14 minutes // Opens 2021
- 3 new stations: underground at U District and Roosevelt, elevated at Northgate.
- Sound Transit is partnering with Bellwether Housing and Mercy Housing Northwest, who will build approximately 245 units of affordable family housing at Roosevelt Station.
- King County Metro, Sound Transit and Community Transit are planning routes to bring bus riders to Link stations to access fast, reliable light rail.
- Finished laying track along entire route.
- Installed artwork, elevators, escalators and stairwells at stations.
- Completed construction of Roosevelt Station.
- Complete U District and Northgate stations and install power and signal systems.
Link light rail: UW to Microsoft campus in 41 minutes // Opens 2023
- 10 new stations, including Seattle’s Judkins Park, Downtown Bellevue and Redmond’s Overlake neighborhood.
- Laying track on I-90 floating bridge.
- Complete Judkins Park Station west headhouse.
- Complete Mercer Island, Overlake Village and Redmond Technology stations.
Link light rail: Shoreline South/145th to Sounders game in 24 minutes // Opens 2024
- 4 new stations: Shoreline South/145th, Shoreline North/185th, Mountlake Terrace and Lynnwood City Center.
- Broke ground on major construction.
- Advanced pre-construction work, including utility relocations and tree replacement program to re-plant nearly four trees for each tree removed for construction.
- Heavy construction with focus on managing tight budget and schedule.
Link light rail: West Seattle Junction to SODO in 8 min. // Opens 2030 Ballard to Westlake in 11 min. // Opens 2035
- Two extensions connecting dense Seattle neighborhoods to light rail.
- Total of 10 new stations and three expanded stations.
- Ballard extension includes a new light rail tunnel under downtown Seattle and Seattle Center.
- After in-depth public engagement generating thousands of comments, the Board identified preferred alternatives and other alternatives to study in an Environmental Impact Statement. This was a critical milestone to keeping the project on schedule.
- The Environmental Impact Statement will guide the Board’s decision in 2022 for final routes and station locations.
- Develop Draft Environmental Impact Statement.
Link light rail: More stations on the existing light rail line // Scheduled to open 2031
- Conducted engineering study to determine possibility of building some or all of the NE 130th station as part of Lynnwood Link Extension, minimizing later service disruption.
- The Board decides whether to expedite some construction of NE 130th Station as part of Lynnwood Link Extension.
Bus rapid transit: Bothell to Shoreline South/145th Link Station in about 22 minutes // Starts 2024
- Stride, a new bus rapid transit (BRT) service, will offer fast, frequent and reliable bus travel to destinations on highways and arterials north, east and south of Lake Washington.
- Connects to Link light rail at Shoreline, Lynnwood, Bellevue and Tukwila.
- Reached out to the community to provide information and gather comments.
- Performed preliminary fieldwork, technical analysis and environmental study.
- Started construction of Bothell SR 522 Business Access and Transit Lanes.
- Proceed to preliminary engineering.
- Complete Bothell SR 522 Business Access and Transit lanes.