I-90 and SR 520 lane closures this weekend across Lake Washington
Joint WSDOT and Sound Transit release
Highway closures will be in opposite directions
SEATTLE – Drivers crossing Lake Washington on both Interstate 90 and State Route 520 will need to plan ahead to reach their destinations on time this weekend.
Beginning at 11 p.m. Friday, Dec. 4, contractor crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation and Sound Transit will reduce westbound I-90 to one lane near Bellevue Way Southeast. All westbound traffic will be rerouted to the express lanes until 5 a.m. Monday, Dec. 7, for the I-90 Two-Way Transit and HOV Operations project.
Eastbound SR 520 will be closed from Montlake Boulevard East to 92nd Avenue Northeast from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 6. Contractor crews working on the SR 520 West Approach Bridge North project will use this closure to remove portions of the 24th Avenue East overpass and continue to construct a new westbound SR 520 off-ramp to East Lake Washington Boulevard.
“We need to do these additional closures now in order to stay on schedule and complete this work by the end of the year,” said SR 520 Construction Engineering Manager Brian Dobbins. “We encourage drivers to stay engaged this weekend, plan ahead, allow extra time or use alternatives to get around.”
I-90 closure details
11 p.m. Friday, Dec. 4, until 5 a.m. Monday, Dec. 7
- Westbound I-90 traffic will be reduced to one lane near Bellevue Way Southeast and rerouted to the express lanes.
- Drivers wishing to access Mercer Island will need to exit westbound I-90 at East Mercer Way. There are no westbound exits to Mercer Island from the express lanes.
- Those traveling from Mercer Island to Seattle should enter the express lanes at 77th Avenue Southeast or Island Crest Way.
- Westbound I-90 drivers will be unable to exit to Rainier Avenue South and should follow the signed detour using 4th Avenue South and eastbound I-90.
- Drivers transporting flammable materials westbound across Lake Washington must use alternate routes such as I-405, SR 520 or SR 522.
- The I-90 Trail will remain open.
SR 520 closure details
6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 6
- All lanes and ramps along eastbound SR 520 will be closed from Montlake Boulevard East to 92nd Avenue Northeast.
- Eastbound SR 520 will remain open from I-5 to Montlake Boulevard East.
There will be similar closures next weekend, Dec. 11-14, except in the opposite directions. Eastbound I-90 will be reduced to one lane near Rainier Avenue South and rerouted to the express lanes from 11 p.m. Friday, Dec. 11, through 5 a.m. Monday, Dec. 14. Westbound SR 520 will be closed from 92nd Avenue Northeast to Montlake Boulevard East from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 13.
Tools for drivers
- Subscribe to WSDOT’s Eastside or Seattle Area News email updates.
- Visit WSDOT’s What’s Happening Now website for a 24-hour highway construction look-ahead.
- Get traveler information on your mobile device.
- Find information and view Seattle area traffic online.
- Call 511 for traffic updates.
- Tune to highway advisory radio and watch electronic highway signs for information.