Prepare for weekend travel delays on eastbound I-90 across Lake Washington, March 10-12
This news release was issued jointly by the Washington State Department of Transportation, Sound Transit.
SEATTLE – Drivers should plan for longer weekend travel times on Interstate 90 across Lake Washington for several weekends in March, April and May. The weekend closures will allow contractor crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation and Sound Transit to move toward the finish line on a project that adds around-the-clock HOV lanes to I-90.
Beginning 11 p.m. Friday, March 10, crews will reduce eastbound I-90 to one lane near Rainier Avenue and reroute traffic to the express lanes until 5 a.m. Sunday, March 12. Drivers should adjust their travels, allow extra travel time and plan for lengthy delays on eastbound I-90, as well as on interstates 5 and 405 and State Route 520.
"We've completed a lot of work over the past two years," said project engineer Aleta Borschowa. "Not all of it is glamorous, and a lot of it is taking place in the ceilings or walls of the tunnels, out of the view of drivers. However, we definitely appreciate driver's patience as we work to wrap up this project later this summer."
This is the 22nd of as many as 30 weekend-long closures since January 2015 as part of the I-90 Two-Way Transit and HOV Operations project. Additional work is scheduled for March 24-27, as well as April 7-10 and 21-24. Drivers should plan for additional weekend-long closures until the project wraps up in mid-2017.
11 p.m. Friday, March 10, until 5 a.m. Sunday, March 12
- Eastbound I-90 traffic between Rainier Avenue South and Bellevue Way Southeast will be routed to the express lanes.
- The exit from eastbound I-90 to Rainier Avenue South will be open.
- The on-ramp from Rainier Avenue South will be closed and a signed detour provided.
- Drivers traveling to Mercer Island from Seattle can exit the express lanes at Island Crest Way or 77th Avenue Southeast.
- Drivers heading to the Eastside from Mercer Island can get on eastbound I-90 at Island Crest Way or East Mercer Way.
- Flammable materials will be prohibited on eastbound I-90. Drivers hauling flammable cargo must use alternate routes such as I-405 or state routes 520 or 522.
- The I-90 Trail will not be affected.
St. Patrick's Day Parade in downtown Seattle – March 11, 12:30 p.m.
Seattle Kennel Club Dog Show at CenturyLink Field Event Center- March 11-12, 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Bacon, Eggs and Kegs at CenturyLink Field North Plaza – March 11-12, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Know before you go
Thousands of vehicles travel across the I-90 floating bridge on a typical weekend. WSDOT and Sound Transit need drivers' help to prevent regional gridlock during weekend construction work:
- Check the Seattle traffic website for travel times and alerts.
- Call 511 for real-time travel information.
- Ride transit, carpool or use other alternative modes of transportation.
- Travel early in the morning or later in the evening.
- During the day, drivers should expect increased congestion on local streets, especially Rainier Avenue South, Fourth Avenue South, South Dearborn Street in Seattle and Bellevue Way Southeast in Bellevue.