Reserved HOV parking program rolls out to select light rail stations
Program aims to make limited resources more reliable/available for frequent riders
Frequent carpoolers sharing a ride to the new Angle Lake light rail station opening Sept. 24 can reserve their spots ahead of time under a new program rolling out this month aimed at making the most of limited parking available at Sound Transit facilities.
The new carpool permits will also be available at the Tukwila International Boulevard light rail station which often fills by 7 a.m. on weekdays.
Detailed information about the program and how to apply is available at: soundtransit.org/permitparking
The goal of the program is to make limited parking resources more efficient while guaranteeing parking availability to regular riders who carpool to the park-and-ride lots.
By the end of the year, the program will be in place for carpoolers at seven other Sound Transit park and ride lots. Sound Transit tested permits during a 2014 pilot project.
Here's how the permit system will work:
- The permits will cost $5 per carpool
- Transit customers must have and use a valid ORCA card to apply for a permit.
- Permit parking areas would be reserved for permit holders through morning rush hour Monday through Friday.
- On weekends and after morning rush hour on weekdays, transit riders would be able to park in permit spaces without a permit.
- Renewal would require the permit holder's ORCA records to show they rode transit at least three times per week during the previous permit term. Flexibility will be allowed for time away (such as vacation).
- Carpool permit holders must arrive with at least two transit riders in the permitted vehicle.
- At least 50% of parking spaces at each location would remain free and available for transit riders on a first-come, first-served basis.
Other locations for the permit program will include:
- Auburn Station
- Federal Way Transit Center
- Issaquah Transit Center
- Kent Station
- Tukwila Sounder Station
- Puyallup Station
- Sumner Station