Sound Transit and Move Redmond kick off Train Safety Video Contest for the 2 Line in Bellevue and Redmond
Bellevue and Lake Washington School Districts’ students in kindergarten through 12th grade invited to submit video for chance to win cash prizes
Starting today, Bellevue and Lake Washington School Districts’ students in kindergarten through 12th grade are invited to enter the 2 Line Safety Video Contest, a partnership with Sound Transit and Move Redmond. With the 2 Line opening next year between South Bellevue and Redmond Technology stations, we want everyone to be aware of the change in their environment—especially in the Bel-Red neighborhood where the 2 Line will operate at street level.
Students are invited to submit a maximum 60-second vertical format video on the theme of
“Practicing Safe Habits around Light Rail.” Sound Transit’s core safety messages are:
- Look both ways. Trains come from both directions, so always expect a second train!
- Headphones off, screens down. It’s important to stay alert to be safe.
- Take crosswalks, not shortcuts. Trains always have the right of way, so pay attention to crossing signals.
- Stay behind the yellow line. The yellow strip creates a barrier between the train and the platform.
- Bike smart, ride safe. When you’re riding a bike, always cross tracks at a 90-degree angle to prevent getting stuck.
Selected winners will receive a cash prize and have their videos displayed on Sound Transit’s social media.
- Open to Bellevue and Lake Washington School Districts’ K-12 students.
- Limit one entry per student; no group entries.
- Videos must be on theme: Practicing Safe Habits around Light Rail.
- Videos should be filmed in vertical format and should be no longer than 60 seconds.
- Submissions should include an artist’s statement from the student about the video and safety in and around transportation.
To submit an entry, please visit moveredmond.org. For more information or questions, please contact Maritza Lauriano (MaritzaL@moveredmond.org) and Seth Daphne Esmeson (SethDaphne.Esmeson@soundtransit.org).
Submissions close on Feb. 16, 2024. Winners will be announced before the 2 Line opens. First-, second- and third-place winners will be selected in grades K-5, 6-8, and 9-12.