Traffic impacts on N. 1st Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way Stadium Way, and Commerce Street during the week of January 28
To move or install underground utilities along the future route, Sound Transit's contractor will temporarily close parking and traffic lanes in areas along North 1st Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Stadium Way, and Commerce Street.
Construction and traffic closures on N. 1st Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Stadium Way, and Commerce Street.
Week of Jan. 28
- North 1st Street between G St and Yakima Ave – north lane closure. North 1st Street in the Stadium District will be open to one lane of traffic during construction. The north lane on N. 1st Street will be closed in between N. G St. and Yakima Ave. There will be no parking on North 1st St. in this section. Parking around the corner on Division Ave. also will be limited. Crews are working on a sewer bypass and a deep sewer line.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way at Division Ave – lane restrictions. The intersection of MLK Jr Way and Division Ave. will maintain two-way traffic during potholing work.
- Stadium Way: Division to South 4th St. – southbound lane closure; use detours
Southbound on Stadium Way continues to be closed to traffic from Broadway to South 4th St. Please follow the detours on St. Helens Ave., Broadway and Tacoma Ave. One-way traffic going north on Stadium Way is open. The contractor is working on both water and storm drainage systems. In addition, the contractor is creating foundations for the overhead contact system.
- Commerce Street: 7th St. to I-705 on-ramp – lane restrictions. Access to Commerce St. from the 705/Stadium Way exit is closed. Detours are in place. One-way traffic northbound on Commerce St. will be maintained from S. 9th to I-705. The contractor is installing a new sewer.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Traffic delays due to detours.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead, leave early and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.