Eastbound I-90 traffic across Lake Washington reduced to one lane this weekend, Sept. 9-12
SEATTLE – Beginning at 11 p.m. tomorrow, Sept. 9, eastbound Interstate 90 will be reduced to one lane near Rainier Avenue in Seattle then rerouted to the express lanes until 5 a.m. Monday, Sept. 12.
Contractor crews working for Washington State Department of Transportation and Sound Transit will be upgrading operation and safety systems in the westbound Mount Baker and Mercer Island tunnels.
Drivers traveling to the eastside of Lake Washington should plan for lengthy delays along Interstate 5, eastbound State Route 520 and eastbound I-90.
- Eastbound I-90 traffic between Rainier Avenue South and Bellevue Way Southeast will be routed to the express lanes.
- The eastbound I-90 exit to Rainier Avenue South will remain open.
- The Rainier Avenue South on-ramps to eastbound I-90 will be closed. Drivers should follow the signed detour via South Dearborn Street and Fourth Avenue South.
- Flammable materials are currently prohibited in both directions of I-90. Drivers must use alternate routes such as I- 405 or state routes 520 or 522.
- The I-90 Trail will not be affected during the closure.
University of Washington football vs. the University of Idaho at Husky Stadium
- 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10
Seahawks vs. Miami Dolphins at CenturyLink Field
- 1:05 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 11
Tools for drivers
- Subscribe to WSDOT's Eastside or Seattle Area News email updates.
- Visit WSDOT's What's Happening Now website for a 24-hour highway construction look-ahead.
- Get traveler information on your mobile device.
- Find information and view Seattle area traffic online.
- Call 511 for traffic updates.
- Tune to highway advisory radio and watch electronic highway signs for information.
This work is part of the Washington State Department of Transportation and Sound Transit's I-90 Two-Way Transit and HOV Operations project which preserves the three general purpose lanes while adding all-day carpool lanes to I-90 and direct access ramps for transit, carpools, and vanpools. In mid-2017, Sound Transit contractors will begin work on the I-90 express lanes to operate exclusively for light rail as part of the East Link light rail project. The 14-mile East Link project, set to open in 2023, includes 10 new stations connecting Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue and Overlake.