Sound Transit adds more rush-hour seats on popular bus routes
New Sounder south train, more ST Express buses on I-5 and I-90 during rush hours
Some of the most popular ST Express bus routes serving Snohomish County and East King County will get more service starting next week. Sound Transit is also adding another Sounder run between Lakewood and Seattle and adjusting existing Sounder train schedules to run every 20 minutes during peak rush hour times.
The updates are part of the thrice-yearly service changes for transit agencies in the region.
Significant updates are also coming to services on I-5 between Everett and Seattle with almost 600 new seats available through additional peak-hour trips. These adjustments will provide service between Everett and Seattle at least every 15 minutes all day. The changes are made possible by starting and ending most trips at Everett Station and shifting some mid-day trips to the peak hours when buses are most crowded.
Extra trips are also being added between Seattle and the Eastside during peak hours. Sound Transit will also add ST Express Route 592 service between Olympia and Seattle during morning rush hours and returning in the evening. The trial service is in partnership with Intercity Transit and funded by a Washington State Department of Transportation Regional Mobility Grant.
Also starting Monday, Sound Transit is adding a sixth peak service round-trip Sounder train between Lakewood and Seattle. The additional train will depart Lakewood station at 6:46 a.m. and South Tacoma at 6:51 a.m., arriving at King Street Station at 7:59 a.m. The afternoon trip will depart King Street Station at 4:32 p.m. The added trip brings Sounder south line peak service to 10 round trips each Monday through Friday. Some adjustments to other trips were made to accommodate these new trips.
For detailed information on the changes and new schedules please see: www.soundtransit.org/ridernews.
Here's the general breakdown:
Routes 510, 511, 512, 513 (Snohomish County - Seattle)
- Major service expansion on route 513
- 510 and 511 operating only during peak hours
- More service to Eastmont Park-and-Ride in Snohomish County to provide alternative to overcrowded South Everett Freeway Station
For more information on I-5 corridor routes see: www.soundtransit.org/I-5Changes
Routes 545, 550 (Seattle - East King County)
- Six new peak-hour trips on 550 to provide service every five minutes during the busiest part of rush hours
- Schedule adjustments on 545 to meet demandRoute 592 (Lakewood - Seattle)· New trips from Olympia to Seattle in the morning and reverse service in the afternoon Other service changes
- Route 522: Stop changes in Bothell due to construction
- Route 532: Stop changes in Everett
- Route 540: Trips reduced to better match ridership
- Route 554: Schedule changes
- Route 566: Schedule changes
- Route 567: Trips added and schedule changes to meet new Sounder train
- Route 578: Trip added and schedule changes
- Route 586: Two morning northbound and two afternoon southbound trips resume September 23, 2013
- Route 590: Schedule changes
- Route 594: Minor schedule changes
- Route 596: Trips added to meet new Sounder trains