In this alert: Instrumentation and surface restoration; Construction look-ahead; Roosevelt Station by the numbers
Northgate Station construction look-ahead
Restoration of the construction wall along 1st Avenue Northeast will begin on Monday, Nov. 6th. Sound Transit's contractor will construct the permanent sound wall and remove portions of the temporary construction wall along 1st Avenue Northeast at the tunnel portal. There will be other work taking place in the work area including final restoration. This work is scheduled to occur from Monday, Nov. 6 – Monday, Jan. 15, 2018.
What to expect:
- Traffic impacts: 1st Avenue Northeast will be narrowed to one southbound lane from Northeast 92nd Street to Northeast 100th Street. Northbound traffic will be detoured to 5th Avenue Northeast. Lane closures will be in effect day and night during this time.
- Construction activities: Removing the temporary wall along with steel beams that support the wall. Building the permanent wall and restoring the areas along 1st Avenue Northeast. Restoring the areas along 1st Avenue Northeast include asphalting, concrete and final restoration.
- Equipment: Construction trucks and support equipment will be stationed on the street during this work.
- Work hours: 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
Starting Monday Nov. 6th, twenty-one girders will be delivered and installed at the Northgate Station site. These girders will hold the tracks where trains will run in 2021. Work will take place at night between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Nov. 6 -10 and 13 - 17.
- NE 103rd Street between 1st Avenue Northeast and 3rd Avenue Northeast will be closed to through traffic.
- 1st Avenue Northeast between Northeast 103rd and Northeast 107th Streets will be closed to through traffic.
- 2,151 ft. of girders weighing a total of 4,539,000 lbs. will be installed during this effort. In case you missed it, be sure to check out Absher Construction Company's video of the recent concrete pour at the future Northgate Station garage.
Instrumentation and surface restoration along Northgate Link tunnel alignment
Sound Transit's contactor has begun the restoration of all instrumentation that was placed for the Northgate Link extension project. This work will take place at various cross passage locations on the surface along the tunnel alignment. The construction and traffic impacts are listed below. This work is scheduled to occur during the following timeframes:
- Friday, Nov. 3 – Friday, Nov. 17
What to expect:
- Nov. 3, 6, and 7: Northeast 81st Street and Latonia Avenue and 2nd Avenue Northeast and Northeast 82nd Street
- Nov. 7 – 9: 4th Avenue Northeast and Northeast 80th street between Banner Way Northeast and 4th Avenue Northeast.
- Nov. 9 – 10: Northeast Banner Place
- Nov. 13 – 17: ADA ramp and instrument restoration at 5th Avenue Northeast and Banner Way Northeast. During this week crews will also be returning intermittently to cross passages to pour replacement concrete panels.
- Traffic impacts: No parking signs will be placed in these areas. Flaggers will be present and may be alternating one lane traffic as needed.* Work zones will be delineated by candlesticks.
*The only exception to this is Tuesday, Nov. 7, flaggers will temporarily close 4th Avenue Northeast to through traffic for a short period to complete the work required.
- Construction activities: Instrumentation restoration.
- Equipment: Construction trucks and support equipment will be stationed in work areas during this work.
- Work hours: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday
Crews install concrete and rebar behind the Green Wall.
Roosevelt Station by the numbers
Roosevelt Station construction continues at a fast clip. To date, Hoffman Construction Company has installed 5.6 million pounds of rebar and placed 29,000 cubic yards of concrete. Crews will continue to build the station floors and rooms through the fall and winter.