Construction activity for July 2014
What to expect in July 2014*:
The locations for the work listed below are shown on the project map.
1. Pedestrian pathway
Complete the pedestrian pathway between NE 43rd Street and Brooklyn Avenue NE. The pathway is expected to re-open early July. Pathway hours will be Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. The pathway will be closed during evenings and weekends.
Ways to get around construction when the pathway is closed:
- 12th Avenue NE to NE 42nd Street or NE 45th Street
- Brooklyn Avenue NE to NE 42nd Street or NE 43rd Street
- University Way NE to NE 42nd Street or NE 45th Street
2. Shoring walls for station excavation
Complete the north, west, and east shoring walls. Begin drilling the south shoring wall along NE 43rd Street early July. The south shoring wall is expected to be complete by fall 2014.
The sidewalk along NE 43rd Street between Brooklyn Avenue NE and the alley will remain open. A temporary enclosure will be used along the sidewalk to separate pedestrians from work activities.
NE 43rd Street between Brooklyn Avenue NE and the alley will be closed to motorists at all times during this work. This block of NE 43rd Street will remain closed for approximately 7 months while crews build a temporary roadway bridge. NE 43rd Street is expected to re-open to one-way eastbound traffic in early 2015. NE 43rd Street remains open between the alley and University Way NE for local access.
Open for business:
Businesses are open during construction. Please support your local businesses during construction of the U District light rail station.
- Closure of NE 43rd Street between Brooklyn Avenue NE and the alley to motorists for approximately 7 months.
- Two to three drill rigs working concurrently on the shoring walls.
- Drill rigs and support equipment located close to the sidewalk along NE 43rd Street.
- Noise from drill rigs during soil removal and installation of metal beams.
- Potential low-frequency vibration during drilling.
- Dust from soil removal and pouring of concrete.
- Frequent truck traffic on area roads and on the project site delivering materials and hauling materials offsite.
- Trucks delivering large loads during the early morning hours (beginning around 4 am).
- Wheel washing stations to minimize truck debris track-out onto city streets.
Crews will work to minimize impacts, such as noise, dust, debris, and access impacts during the work.
Equipment: trucks, excavators, jackhammers, drill rigs, cranes, generators, water treatment systems, street sweepers
*Schedule: Work hours are typically Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Intermittent weekend and evening work may be scheduled. Construction schedules are subject to change. Notifications will be distributed for significant changes.
LIGHT RAIL CONSTRUCTION IS UNDERWAY
During excavation of the U District light rail station, approximately four trucks per hour will use Brooklyn Avenue NE to haul materials offsite. Please stay alert:
- Watch for trucks and trailers.
- Obey signs and signals.
- Use crosswalks.