Construction alert: Traffic impacts on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Stadium Way and Commerce Street during week of Dec. 3
To replace underground utilities along the future route, Sound Transit's contractor will temporarily close parking and traffic lanes in areas along Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Stadium Way and Commerce Street.
Construction and traffic closures on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Stadium Way and Commerce Street.
Week of Dec. 3
Martin Luther King Jr. Way: 19th to 15th Street – lane restrictions. MLK between South 15th and South 19th will maintain two-way traffic during construction of the storm and sanitary sewer. The intersection at South 17th Street and MLK will be closed while the contractor connects the side sewer to the main line. Parking will be restricted on both sides of MLK as well as on South 17th for a half-block just west of MLK. Please move your vehicles during the times shown on the no parking signs – thank you. Pedestrian access will be limited in these areas.
Commerce Street: 7th St. to I-705 on-ramp – lane restrictions. Access to Commerce St. from the 705/Stadium Way exit is closed until mid-January 2019. Detours are in place. One-way traffic northbound on Commerce Street will be maintained from South 9th to 705 until January.
Traffic south of South 4th Street on Stadium Way will be detoured onto I-705. To avoid travelling on I-705, please follow the detours on St. Helens Avenue, Broadway and Tacoma Avenue.
Stadium Way: Broadway to South 4th Street – southbound lane closure; use detours. Southbound on Stadium Way continues to be closed to traffic from Broadway to South 4th Street until Dec. 28. Please follow the detours on St. Helens Avenue, Broadway and Tacoma Avenue. One-way traffic going north on Stadium Way is open. The pedestrian refuge islands on Stadium Way were removed to better shift traffic during construction. For safety, some sidewalks on the east side of Stadium Way may be closed during construction.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Traffic delays due to detours.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead, leave early and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.