Construction along Hilltop Tacoma route begins with potholing in mid-October
Sound Transit's contractor will start potholing along the Hilltop Tacoma Link Extension route as early as Oct. 15. This work consists of digging small areas to confirm the location of underground utilities. Each location will take approximately one work day. This work along the route is expected to take two months. Potholing will not take place in front of Stadium High School during this time.
The contractor will work in two areas (please see the map):
- Commerce Street and South 7th Street and then go north up Stadium Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and South 19th Street and then go north along Martin Luther King Jr Way.
What you can expect:
- Traffic cones and flaggers will direct traffic near the construction zones.
- Access to driveways, sidewalks and businesses will be kept open.
- There will be no parking near the potholing work. No parking signs will be put up in advance.
- Construction work will take place during daytime hours.
- Expect construction noise such as asphalt removal and heavy equipment.
Construction near the Tacoma Operations and Maintenance Facility
As a reminder, Sound Transit will start construction to expand the existing Tacoma Link Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF) located on East 25th Street. This work will include the demolition of the adjacent warehouse located just east of the OMF. The demolition work could start as early as Oct. 8 and last approximately two weeks. Please see the Sept. 24 construction alert for more information.