Construction begins in front of Stadium High School on June 20 until September 4
Sound Transit's contractor will begin construction in front of Stadium High School on Thursday, June 20. Construction will last the entire summer break to about September 4. The contractor is allowed to do construction work in front of Stadium High School when school is not in session during the summer.
During this time, N. E Street and N. 1st Street from just north of Division Avenue to Tacoma Avenue will be completely closed. Please follow detour routes on Stadium Way, N. 1st Street, Division Avenue, N. E Street, Broadway and Tacoma Avenue.
The contractor plans to do the majority of the work in front of the high school during the road closure this summer. Several crews will work in this area at the same time. This work includes:
- Underground utilities (sewer and stormwater).
- Foundations for Link power poles.
- Street lighting.
- Track installation.
Large trucks (SU-30 or longer than a 30-foot box truck) and buses are advised not to travel on Stadium Way and to follow other routes, such as 9th Street to Tacoma Avenue. Another option is to drive smaller trucks on Stadium Way and turn at Division Avenue.
We are coordinating with Stadium High School, businesses, apartments, and condos to keep access open and minimize disruptions.
Construction begins on June 20 and will last the entire summer break to approximately September 4. Work hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor may work on Sundays, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., if needed. The street will be open before school begins.
Construction in front of Stadium High School and apartments/condos on N. E Street and N. 1st Street from Division Avenue to Tacoma Avenue.
- Stadium High School will continue to be open for summer activities.
- Access Stadium High School by walking on the sidewalk on N. 1st St. or driving/biking on N. 2nd St. or N. 3rd St. The school's parking garage remains open. Bus drop off/pick up continues on N. 3rd St. near Stadium Bowl.
- There will be no vehicle, bicycle or pedestrian access or on-street parking available in the construction area.
- The sidewalk on the north side of N. E Street/N. 1st Street (the Stadium High School side) will be open. The sidewalk on the south side of the street will be closed. A fence will be installed in between the sidewalk and construction for pedestrian safety.
- Access the Bayside Garden Apartments and One Stadium Way Condos by walking on the sidewalk or driving on the private road. Vehicles can use the private road entrance near Division Avenue only. The entrance to the private road will be closed near the school.
- Access the Rankos Pharmacy's parking lot by taking N. 2nd Street to N. E Street.
- There will be no construction on Broadway. Access to the apartments and businesses on Broadway remains open.
- Dump trucks will enter and exit on Stadium Way, Tacoma Avenue and Broadway.
- Stadium Way will be open to one-way traffic going up the hill from the 705. Stadium Way will be open to two-way traffic from 4th Street to the 705, and then on Commerce Street from the 705 to 9th Street.
- Please do not enter the construction area.
- Expect construction noise related to road demolition and replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment and materials will be used and stored within the construction area.
- Work will generally take place Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor may work less hours. The contractor may work on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., if needed.
- The contractor will likely return in summer 2020 to install the power poles and electrical wires.
- We will continue to update you on the work in front of Stadium High School.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.
Outreach Specialist: email@example.com or 253-208-0586
After-hours construction hotline: 888-298-2395
E Street in front of Stadium High School.
1st and E Street in Tacoma.