Construction continues on Commerce Street from I-705 to S. 9th Street
Crews continue installing track, electrical systems, flatwork and the Old City Hall Station on Commerce Street from S. 9th to I-705. Commerce St. is closed to southbound traffic between I-705 and S. 9th St. The northbound lane is open between S. 7th St. and I-705.
On Martin Luther King Jr. Way, crews are completing the curb and gutter work on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way in the area between S. 16th St. and S. 13th St. In addition, crews are installing signals at the S. 11th St. and MLK Jr. Way intersection.
Looking ahead, the contractor plans to install signals in the MLK Jr. Way and 6th Avenue intersection and track in the Stadium Way and Division Avenue intersection in mid-July.
COVID-19. The health and safety of all workers on Sound Transit’s construction sites are of utmost importance to us. Our contractors have primary responsibility for their wellbeing while working on our projects. Sound Transit is actively working with the contractors and construction management teams on all our projects to assure that public health guidelines are being followed.
Construction and traffic restrictions at Commerce Street, S. 7th Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 18th Street, S. 11th Street, and E. 25th Street
Week of July 5
- Commerce Street from I-705 to S. 9th Street – southbound lane closure. Crews are installing track on Commerce St. from I-705 to the crosswalk north of the Theater District Station. The contractor is installing the underground electrical system and crossover tracks in the 7th St. intersection. Crews will start building the platform for the Old City Hall Station. Commerce St. is closed to southbound traffic between I-705 and S. 9th St. The northbound lane is open between S. 7th St. and I-705. Access to driveways and parking lots is maintained, or alternate parking is provided. From I-705, follow the detour north on Stadium Way or take an earlier exit.
- Commerce Street from S. 9th St. to S. 7th St. – closed to through traffic. Crews are installing electrical systems and track on Commerce St. between S. 9th St. and S. 7th St. Northbound Commerce St. is open to local traffic to access driveways and parking garages/lots.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 16th St. to S. 13th St. – traffic restrictions. Crews will start installing curb and gutter on the east side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 16th St. to S. 13th St. Martin Luther King Jr. Way will be open to two-way traffic. Parking will not be available on either side of the street in this area. The side streets may close, as work occurs across these streets.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S. 11th St. intersection – traffic restrictions. Crews are installing signals, lighting and foundations for signal poles at the MLK Jr. Way and S. 11th St. intersection, working in a corner at a time. MLK Jr. Way and S. 11th St. are open to two-way traffic. The sidewalk may be closed on the corner where they’re working, so please follow the pedestrian detour. The signals and lighting work at this intersection is expected to complete by the end of the week, and then crews will do similar work at the 6th Avenue, 9th Avenue and Earnest Brazill St. intersections.
- East 25th Street from McKinley Ave. to E. J St. – eastbound lane closure. E. 25th St. is closed to eastbound traffic in front of the expanded Operations and Maintenance Facility for track installation, underground electrical work, and curb and gutter work. Please follow the detour on Puyallup Ave.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to underground utilities and track installation.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.