Construction on MLK Jr. Way from Division Ave to 3rd St and at MLK Jr. Way and S. 11th St. intersection during the week of April 8
Water line work will begin on Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Division Ave. to 6th St., starting with the section from Division Ave. to 3rd St. in front of Kaiser Permanente. The contractor will work on utilities in the intersection of MLK Jr. Way and S. 11th St., resulting in a northbound lane closure on MLK Jr. Way for one block. In the Stadium District, crews will resume stormwater work on N. 1st St. The contractor continues underground electrical work on Commerce St. near the 705 onramp. Crews continue creating foundations for power poles along Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
Construction and traffic closures on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, N. 1st Street, Commerce Street, and Stadium Way.
Week of April 8
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Earnest Brazill St. to S. 11th St – northbound lane closure. The contractor will install underground utilities in the intersection of MLK Jr. Way and S. 11th St. Northbound traffic is closed for one block on MLK Jr. Way from Earnest Brazill St. to 11th St. Follow detours on J Street and L Street.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Division to 3rd St – lane restrictions and then intersection closure at MLK Jr. Way and 3rd St. Crews will install a new waterline on Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Division Ave. to 6th St, starting with the section from Division to 3rd St. in front of Kaiser Permanente. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
- When crews reach the intersection of MLK Jr. Way and 3rd St, they will close this intersection. To access Kaiser Permanente’s parking garage, follow J Street to 3rd Street. Access to Kaiser’s front driveway is available from 3rd Street.
- N. 1st St. from G St. to Yakima Ave – northbound lane closure. N. 1st Street is open to one-way traffic from Tacoma Ave to Yakima Ave. The northbound lane on N. 1st St. is closed between G St. and Yakima Ave. The contractor is installing a stormwater system.
- Commerce Street: 7th St. to 705 – lane closure. The southbound lane on Commerce St. is closed in between the 705 exit and 7th St. The northbound lane is open to access the 705 onramp and Stadium Way. The contractor is doing electrical and traffic signal work.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way in between 15th St and Division – lane restrictions. Crews are creating pole foundations, including saw cutting and potholing on Martin Luther King Jr. Way between 15th St. and Division Ave. Two-way traffic will be maintained.
- Stadium Way: southbound lane closure; use detours. Southbound on Stadium Way continues to be closed to traffic from Broadway to South 4th St. Please follow the detours on St. Helens Ave., Broadway and Tacoma Ave. One-way traffic going north on Stadium Way is open. The contractor is working on both water and storm drainage systems. Tacoma Public Utilities is connecting customers to the new water service.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.
Outreach Specialist: email@example.com or 253-208-0586
After-hours construction hotline: 888-298-2395