Division Avenue and I Street intersection closes for utility work on Nov. 16-17
The Division Avenue and I Street intersection will be completely closed for underground utility work during the weekend of Nov. 16-17. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Crews will work on a water line at Division and J St. on Nov. 13. In addition, crews expect to finish welding rail on Division Avenue this week. Then, the track will be stored on Division Avenue near S. G Street until it is installed.
In Hilltop, rail segments will arrive on the east side of MLK Jr. Way between S. 18th St. and S. 15th St. as early as Nov. 14. Rail welding is expected to start next week. In addition, crews will move the water line work on Martin Luther King Jr. Way to the area between S. 9th Street and S. 7th Street. Crews continue utility work in the S. 14th St. intersection. The contractor will do electrical work at the MLK Jr. Way and 17th St. intersection.
Crews continue to pothole and then install foundations for Link power poles on N. 1st Street from Division Avenue to Tacoma Avenue. On Stadium Way, crews are installing track and foundations for Link power poles.
Construction and traffic restrictions on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 17th Street, S. 14th Street, Division Avenue, I Street, N. 1st Street, S. 4th Street, and Stadium Way
Week of Nov. 11
- Division Avenue from I Street to Yakima Avenue – lane restriction. The contractor is welding the rail segments on Division Avenue near Wright Park. Rail welding on Division Ave is expected to take two weeks. After the welding is completed, the longer rail strands will be stored on Division Avenue near S. G Street (also on the Wright Park side of the street). Two-way traffic will be maintained on Division Ave. The rail stored on Division Avenue will be installed on N. 1st Street and Division Avenue in early 2020.
- Division Avenue from J Street to K Street – lane closure. Division Avenue is closed to westbound traffic from J St. to Martin Luther King Jr. Way to install utilities underground.
- Division Avenue and I Street intersection – intersection closure. The Division Avenue and I Street intersection will be completely closed during the weekend of Nov. 16 and 17 for utility work. In addition, the alley near the Shell gas station will be closed at Division Ave. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- N. 1st Street from Division Avenue to Tacoma Avenue – lane restrictions. The contractor is potholing on N. 1st Street between Division and Tacoma Ave. Two-way traffic is maintained on N. 1st Street. Crews are potholing and creating the foundations for Link power poles.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 9th Street to S. 7th Street – lane restrictions. The contractor is installing a water line on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 9th Street o S. 7th Street. Two-way traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S. 13th to 15th Street – northbound lane closure. Crews are doing utility work at the intersection of 14th St. and MLK Jr. Way. The northbound lane of MLK Jr. Way will be closed from S. 15th St. to S. 13th St. In addition, S. 14th Street will be closed in both directions for about a half-block to the alleys. The work in this section is expected to take about three weeks.
- S. 17th Street and Martin Luther King Kr. Way – intersection closure. S. 17th St. is closed on the east side of MLK Jr. Way for electrical work. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way. S. 17th St. is open during nonworking hours.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 19th to S. 16th Streets – lane restrictions. Rail segments will arrive on the east side of MLK Jr. Way near S. 18th and S. 17th Streets on Nov. 14 and 15. Two-way traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr. Way. S. 18th St. and S. 17th St. may be closed on the east side of MLK Jr. Way for the rail.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. – lane restrictions. Crews are installing underground utilities on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. near Jackson Hall and the Baker Center. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. To access Jackson Hall, please enter through the Jackson Hall parking garage or take the pedestrian tunnel from Tacoma General Hospital. Flaggers will assist pedestrians. Please allow extra time to get to your appointment.
- S. 4th St. between Broadway and Stadium Way – closed. Currently, S. 4th St. is closed between Broadway and Stadium Way. Crews will work on a water line on S. 4th St which is partially located in the sidewalk. Portions of the sidewalk will be closed.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to the 705 onramp -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Crews will start to install track on the east side of Stadium Way just north of Division Avenue, as early as Oct. 29. In this section of Stadium Way, people will drive northbound on the lane with the newly installed track. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to the 705 onramp. Please follow detour routes on St. Helens, Tacoma Avenue and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from the 705 to Tacoma Avenue with left turns at S. 4th St. and Division Ave. Commerce St. also is open to two-way traffic. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp. Crews are installing track and foundations for Link power poles.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.