Division Avenue and MLK Jr. Way/K Street intersection closes December 14 for utility work
The Division Avenue and K Street/MLK Jr. Way intersection will be completely closed so the contractor can install part of a water line on Saturday, Dec. 14. The work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. In addition, a Puget Sound Energy crew will relocate a gas line on MLK Jr. Way from Division Ave. to S. 3rd St. during the weekend of Dec. 14 and 15.
The contractor continues to install track on Stadium Way and will work this weekend, Dec. 14 and 15, in between Division Avenue and S. 4th Street. On Hilltop, crews are welding rail on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way in between S. 15th Street and S. 18th Street and will install a water line on MLK Jr. Way at the intersection of MLK Jr/Way and S. 7th Street. The contractor will pave MLK Jr. Way from S. 18th to S. 17th St. later this week. The contractor continues utility work, using “jack-and-bore” operations on MLK Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St.
Construction and traffic restrictions on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 17th Street, S. 16th Street, S. 7th Street, Division Avenue, and Stadium Way
Week of December 9
- Division Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Way/K Street – intersection closure on Dec. 14. The Division Ave. and MLK Jr. Way/K St. intersection will be completely closed on Saturday, Dec. 14 to install part of a water line. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Please follow detours on I Street, 6th Avenue, and MLK Jr. Way. In addition, a Puget Sound Energy crew will replace a gas line in this same area during the weekend of Dec. 14 and 15. PSE will keep access open to the Jackson Hall parking garage, and flaggers will help direct pedestrians.
- Division Avenue from J Street to K Street – lane closure and intersection closure. Division Avenue is closed to westbound traffic from J St. to K St/Martin Luther King Jr. Way to install utilities underground. K St. is closed on the north side of the intersection. Please follow the detour on 6th Ave. to Sprague Ave.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 18th to S. 15th Streets – street closure and lane restrictions. Crews will pave MLK Jr. Way from S. 18th St. to S. 17th St. on Dec. 12 and 13, which will result in closing MLK Jr. Way from S. 16th to S. 19th St. in both directions. Southbound traffic will detour at S. 15th St. Please follow the detour routes on S. J St. In addition, crews are welding rail segments on the east side of MLK Jr. Way in between S. 15th and S. 17th Streets. The longer rail strands are stored in the street right-of-way in two piles on the east side of MLK Jr. Way. S. 17th St. and S. 16th St. are both closed just east of the MLK Jr. Way intersection during welding. The crosswalk is closed at S. 17th Street, and sidewalk from S. 16th St. to S. 15th St. is closed during welding for safety.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 8th Street to S. 6th Street – lane restrictions and southbound lane closure. The contractor will install a water line at the intersections of S. 7th St. and MLK Jr. Way. The southbound lane on MLK Jr. Way will be closed from 6th Ave. to S. 8th St., and S. 7th St. will be closed for half a block to the alley on either side of MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. – lane restrictions. Crews are installing underground utilities on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. near Jackson Hall and the Baker Center. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. Please allow extra time to get to your appointment.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to the 705 onramp -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Crews will work this weekend, Dec. 14 and 15, to install track on Stadium Way between Division Ave. and S. 4th St. Hours are 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Crews continue to install foundations for Link power poles on the east side of Stadium Way from Division Ave. to the 705 onramp. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to the 705 onramp. Please follow detour routes on St. Helens, Tacoma Avenue and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from the 705 to Tacoma Avenue with left turns at S. 4th St. and Division Ave. Commerce St. also is open to two-way traffic. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place. Buses will follow detour routes.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.