Division Avenue and S. J St. intersection closes for utility work this week
Crews will close S. J Street at Division Avenue to S. 3rd Street to install underground utilities this week. After Memorial Day, the contractor will move to N. J Street and install underground utilities in the N. J St. and Division Ave. intersection during weeknights from May 26 – 30, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
In other areas, crews continue to install track on Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 11th St. to S. 10th St., as well as a sewer line on MLK Jr. Way from 6th Avenue to S. 8th St. On N. 1st St., crews continue to install track, the platform for the Stadium District Station, and curb, gutter and sidewalks. On Division Ave., crews are installing track from Yakima Ave. to I St. Commerce Street is closed in both directions between S. 7th St. and I-705 for utility work.
Crews may work on Saturday morning, May 23, at Division and I Street, but otherwise will not work during the Memorial Day weekend. Looking ahead, the contractor plans to install track on the west side of Stadium Way near the I-705 ramp and install a water line on Pacific Avenue north of S. 7th St. after Memorial Day.
COVID-19. The health and safety of all workers on Sound Transit’s construction sites are of utmost importance to us. Our contractors have primary responsibility for their wellbeing while working on our projects. Sound Transit is actively working with the contractors and construction management teams on all our projects to assure that public health guidelines are being followed.
Construction and traffic restrictions on Commerce Street, Stadium Way, N. 1st Street, Yakima Avenue, Division Avenue, S. J Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 7th Street, S. 10th Street, S. 11th Street, and S. 17th Street
Week of May 18
- Division Avenue and S. J Street – intersection closure. Crews will install underground utilities on S. J St. from Division Ave. to S. 3rd St. this week, closing the Division Ave. and S. J St. intersection. After Memorial Day, crews will move to N. J St., and install utilities in the N. J St./N. 2nd St./Division Ave. intersection. N. J St. and N. 2nd. St. will be closed at Division Ave for about half a block. The utility work on N. J St. will take place during weeknights from May 26 – May 30 from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. The contractor obtained a noise variance from the City of Tacoma to work at night and minimize impacts to businesses. Follow detours on I St., 6th Avenue, N. 3rd St., and MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 6th Avenue to S. 8th Street – southbound lane closure. Crews continue to install sewer pipes and structures on the west side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way, moving to the area between 6th Avenue to S. 7th Street. The southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way is closed from 6th Avenue to S. 8th Street. S. 7th St. is also closed on the west side of MLK Jr. for about a half block to the alley. Please follow the detour routes on J St. to 6th Ave. to MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 9th St. to Earnest Brazill St. – southbound lane closure. Crews continue the track installation process on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 11th St to S. 10th St. This work includes removing asphalt, moving rail into place, pouring concrete around the rail, and paving. The southbound lane on MLK Jr. Way is closed from S. 9th St. to Earnest Brazill St. In addition, S. 11th St. and S. 10th St. are closed on the west side of MLK Jr. Way for a half-block to the alley for about three to four weeks. To access businesses on S. 10th St. west of MLK Jr. Way, please follow S. L Street. Businesses and residents on the west side of MLK Jr. Way between S. 11th St. and Earnest Brazill St. – please receive deliveries through the alley, if possible. After installing track on this block, crews will move a block north to S. 9th St.
In addition, the contractor continues installing a sewer line on S. 10th St. and MLK Jr. Way. After completing work in this intersection, crews will install the sewer line on S. 10th St. on the west side of MLK Jr. Way to the alley.
- Commerce Street from 7th Street to I-705 – street closure. Crews are installing a new stormwater system on Commerce Street north of S. 7th St. Commerce St. is closed in both directions between S. 7th St. and I-705. Access to the parking lots on Commerce Street is maintained. To access Commerce St. from I-705, take the A Street/Tacoma City Center exit, or follow the detour up Stadium Way to 4th St. and then down Broadway/St. Helens/Tacoma Ave. The truck detour route is Stadium Way north to Tacoma Ave.
- N. 1st Street between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue – street closure. Crews are installing track, the platform for the Stadium District Station, curb, gutter and sidewalks on N. 1st St. between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue. N. 1st St. is closed in both directions from the driveway at Stadium Thriftway to Yakima Avenue. This street closure is expected to last through May and into June. Drivers can exit the Columbia Bank’s drive-thru and the driveway that serves Stadium Thriftway and other businesses for most of the track installation. N. G St. is closed at N. 1st St. but otherwise is open. Follow detours on N. 2nd St., N. I St., and Division Ave.
- Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and I Street – lane restriction. Crews are installing track on Division Avenue near the Shell Gas Station up to Cosmonaut Coffee, and plan to do a concrete pour around the tracks this week. Crews may work during the morning of Saturday, May 23. Yakima Avenue is closed at Division Ave.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to S. 4th St. - southbound lane closure; use detours. Southbound Stadium Way is closed from Division Avenue to S. 4th St. as crews work on the traction power substation and the 4th Street Station. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from I-705 to Tacoma Avenue. Please follow detour routes on Tacoma Avenue, St. Helens and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or I-705.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.