I-705 ramps open at Stadium Way. Large trucks follow truck detour route.
After installing track on Stadium Way near the I-705, crews will open the I-705 ramps late today, July 27. Vehicles will be able to exit and enter I-705 at Stadium Way. Stadium Way will be open to two-way traffic from I-705 to 4th St., and to northbound traffic to Division Ave. Because of the street closure in front of Stadium High School, large trucks should follow the truck detour route: from I-705 turn left onto Commerce St. to S. 9th St. Thank you.
Crews continue to install track on Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and J Street, and on Martin Luther King Jr. Way in Hilltop. This week, the contractor will move the track installation south on MLK Jr. Way to the area between S. 11th St. and S. 15th St. Crews continue installing underground utilities on MLK Jr. Way near Tacoma General Hospital and on S. 8th Street.
Looking ahead, the contractor plans to move the track installation work on Division Ave. through J St. and will move the sewer work to MLK Jr. Way and S. 9th St., as soon as August 3.
COVID-19. The health and safety of all workers on Sound Transit’s construction sites are of utmost importance to us. Our contractors have primary responsibility for their wellbeing while working on our projects. Sound Transit is actively working with the contractors and construction management teams on all our projects to assure that public health guidelines are being followed.
Construction and traffic restrictions at Stadium Way, Commerce Street, Division Avenue, N. I Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 5th Street, S. 8th Street, Earnest Brazill Street, S. 13th Street, S. 14th Street, and S. 17th Street.
Week of July 27
- Stadium Way/N. E St./N. 1st St. from north of Division Avenue to Tacoma Avenue – street closure. Crews continue construction in front of Stadium High School. Stadium Way/N. E Street/N. 1st Street from just north of Division Avenue to Tacoma Avenue is completely closed. Residents can access parking at condos and apartments on Stadium Way. Parking is not available on the street. Detour routes to and from downtown include Tacoma Ave., Broadway and St. Helens.
- Stadium Way from Division Ave. to S. 4th Street – southbound lane closure. Crews are working on the 4th St. station and traction power substation along Stadium Way; therefore, Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Division Ave. to S. 4th St. Stadium Way is open northbound from S. 4th St. to Division Avenue with turns at S. 4th St. and Division Ave. Please follow detour routes on Tacoma Avenue, St. Helens and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or I-705.
- Commerce Street between S. 7th Street and I-705 – northbound lane closure. Commerce Street is closed northbound between S. 7th Street and I-705 for utility work.
- Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and J Street – lane restriction and street closure. Crews continue installing track on Division Avenue from Yakima Avenue to J Street. The contractor plans to pour concrete around the tracks between I St. and J St. on Thursday. N. I Street is closed, and the contractor plans to open it by the end of the week. The bus detour route is on N. 2nd St. between I Street and Yakima Ave. Looking ahead, crews plan to excavate across J St., closing N. J St., as soon as August 3.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Baker driveway to S. 5th St – street closure. Crews continue to install underground utilities on the west side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from the Baker driveway to 6th Avenue. MLK Jr. Way is open to northbound traffic from 6th Avenue to Division Avenue. Crews are working in the 5th St. intersection, closing S. 5th St. west of MLK Jr. Way. Access to the emergency department on 5th St. is open. Please allow extra time to arrive to your appointment.
To access the Emergency Department, follow MLK Jr. Way north to 5th St. and down the 5th St. hill. Access is open to hospitals and medical centers on MLK Jr. Way. Follow Division Avenue and go south on MLK Jr. Way to the Baker Center.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way at S. 8th Street – lane closure and street closure. Crews are installing stormwater pipes and structures underground on S. 8th St. on the west side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way and in the L St. roundabout. Martin Luther King Jr. Way is closed to northbound traffic from S. 9th St. to S. 7th St. Please follow the detour routes on J St. After completing the stormwater work near the L St. roundabout, crews plan to work on the traction power substation located on S. 8th St. west of MLK Jr. Way near the alley.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 11th St. to S. 15th St. – northbound lane closure and intersection closure. Crews will continue installing track on the east side Luther King Jr. Way from S. 11th Street to S. 15th St. As early as today, July 27, crews will open S. 10th St. and S. 11th St., and then close Earnest Brazill Street east of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. AS the track installation continues south, the contractor will close S. 13th St. and then S. 14th St. east of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. MLK Jr. Way will be open to southbound traffic, but closed to northbound traffic between S. 15th St. and S. 11th St. Please follow the detour on S. J St.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.