Installing track on Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 15th Street to S. 13th Street
The contractor will continue installing track on the west side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way, moving to the area from S. 15th St. to S. 13th St. MLK Jr. Way southbound will be closed from Earnest Brazill St. to S. 16th St. In addition, S. 15th St. and S. 14th St. will be closed on the west side of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. Please follow the detour on S. J St. As crews move to this area, they will open MLK Jr. Way between S. 18th St. and S. 16th St. to two-way traffic and parking.
Crews are installing underground utilities on Martin Luther King Jr. Way south of S. 3rd Street near Tacoma General Hospital. Please allow extra time to reach your appointment. MLK Jr. Way is open to two-way traffic between Division Ave. and S. 3rd St. In addition, the contractor is installing utilities on S. J St. between Division Ave. and S. 3rd St.
N. 1st Street is closed between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue in both directions to install track. This week, crews are excavating and bringing the rail into place near Columbia Bank. The contractor will keep access open to the bank’s drive-thru as much as possible. A police officer will direct traffic at the driveway on Division Ave. that serves many businesses on N. 1st St.
Construction and traffic restrictions on N. 1st Street, Division Avenue, S. J Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 14th Street, S. 15th Street, S. 17th Street, and Stadium Way
Week of March 9
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 16th St to Earnest Brazill St – southbound lane closure. Crews continue the track installation process on the west side of MLK Jr. Way moving to the area from S. 15th St to S. 13th St. The contractor will excavate, move rail into place, and pour concrete around the rail. The southbound lane on MLK Jr. Way is closed from S. Earnest Brazill to S. 16th St. In addition, S. 15th St. and S. 14th St. are closed on the west side of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. Please follow the detour on S. J St. As the contractor moves into this area, crews will open MLK Jr. Way from S. 18th St. to S. 16th St. to traffic and parking.
In addition, rail strands are stored in the street right-of-way on the east side of MLK Jr. Way between S. 16th and S. 18th Streets. Ultimately, crews will install this rail in MLK Jr. Way. During rail storage, S. 17th St. east of MLK Jr. Way is closed.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd Street to the Baker Center driveway – southbound lane closure. Crews continue to install underground utilities on MLK Jr. Way near S. 3rd St. The southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way is closed at S. 3rd St. to the Baker Center driveway. The northbound lane is open. Please follow the detour routes on I St. to 6th Ave. to MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. Please allow an extra 15 minutes to get to your appointment.
- S. J Street from Division Avenue to S. 3rd Street – intersection closure. Crews will install underground utilities on S. J Street from Division Ave. to S. 3rd St., closing S. J Street at Division Ave. Please follow the detours on I St., S. 3rd St., 6th Ave., and MLK Jr. Way.
- N. 1st Street between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue – street closure. Crews are installing track on N. 1st St. between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue, closing N. 1st St. in both directions for about 10 weeks. Parking is not available on N. 1st St., but is available on Tacoma Ave., adjacent streets, and parking lots. Sidewalks are open. Please cross the street at temporary crosswalks and follow the flagger’s directions. Drivers will be able to exit the Columbia Bank’s drive-thru and the driveway that serves Stadium Thriftway and other businesses for most of the track installation. A police officer will direct traffic at the driveway on Division Ave. during the late-afternoon rush hour. N. G St. is closed at N. 1st St. but otherwise is open. Follow detours on N. 2nd St., N. I St., and Division Ave.
- Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and I Street – lane restriction. Crews are installing foundations for Link power poles on the north side of Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and I Street. Two-way traffic is maintained on Division Ave.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to S. 4th St. – southbound lane closure; use detours. Stadium Way is open to two-way traffic between S. 4th St. and I-705. Northbound traffic on Stadium Way is open from I-705 to Tacoma Avenue, including turns at S. 4th St., Division Ave., Broadway and Tacoma Ave. Southbound Stadium Way will continue to be closed from Division Avenue to S. 4th St. as crews install track and foundations for Link power poles as well as work on the traction power substation. Please follow detour routes on Tacoma Avenue, St. Helens and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or I-705.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.