Installing traffic signals and lighting at intersections along Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Crews are installing signals, lighting and foundations for signal poles at intersections along Martin Luther King Jr. Way. This week, the contractor will do signal and lighting work at the S. 11th St. intersection, as well as test the signals at the S. 15th St. intersection. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Martin Luther King Jr. Way and the side streets. In addition, crews continue to install curb and gutter on the east side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 19th St. to S. 16th St. and clean the rail.
On Commerce Street, crews continue installing track, curb, gutter, sidewalks, and electrical systems. On E. 25th St., the contractor is advancing the track installation process across McKinley Ave. E near the expanded Operations and Maintenance Facility. The contractor may install signals on Division Avenue from Yakima Avenue to MLK Jr. Way starting next week.
Looking ahead, the contractor plans to install stormwater pipes in the Commerce St. and S. 9th St. intersection as soon as June 18. In addition, the contractor will install cutover tracks on E. 25th St., which will temporarily close service on Tacoma Link from June 20-30. During this time, Sound Transit will provide bus service to Tacoma Link passengers. We will provide more information soon.
COVID-19. The health and safety of all workers on Sound Transit’s construction sites are of utmost importance to us. Our contractors have primary responsibility for their wellbeing while working on our projects. Sound Transit is actively working with the contractors and construction management teams on all our projects to assure that public health guidelines are being followed.
Construction and traffic restrictions at Commerce Street, S. 7th Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 18th Street, S. 17th Street, S. 15th Street, S. 11th Street, and E. 25th Street
Week of June 1
- Commerce Street from I-705 to S. 9th Street – southbound lane closure. Crews are installing track on Commerce St. from I-705 to the crosswalk north of the Theater District Station. The contractor is installing the underground electrical system and crossover tracks in the 7th St. intersection. In addition, crews will install curb, gutter and drainage on the west side of Commerce St. between S. 7th St. and I-705. Commerce St. is closed to southbound traffic between I-705 and S. 9th St. The northbound lane is open between S. 7th St. and I-705. Access to driveways and parking lots is maintained, or alternate parking is provided. From I-705, follow the detour north on Stadium Way or take an earlier exit.
- Commerce Street from S. 9th St. to S. 7th St. – northbound lane closure during working hours. Crews are installing the underground electrical system and track on Commerce St. between S. 9th St. and S. 7th St. Commerce St. is closed to northbound traffic from S. 9th St. to S. 7th St. during working hours. Looking ahead, the contractor plans to install a stormwater system in the Commerce St. and S. 9th St. intersection as soon as June 18. This work will close the Commerce St. and S. 9th St. intersection for the weekend of June 18. We will provide more information soon.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 19th St. to S. 16th St. – northbound lane closure. Crews are installing curb and gutter on the east side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 19th St. to S. 16th St. The work also will include installing crosswalks and pavement across the cross streets. MLK Jr. Way is closed to northbound traffic from S. 19th St. to S. 16th St., and S. 18th St. and S. 18th St. are closed on the east side of MLK Jr. Way for a half block. As the work advances north, S. 16th St. will close on the east side of MLK Jr. Way for a half block. Please follow the detour on S. J St. – thank you. This work is expected to last until mid-June in this area, and then crews will continue north on MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S. 15th St. intersection – traffic restrictions. Later this week, crews will test the recently installed signals at the MLK Jr. Way and S. 15th St. intersection. MLK Jr. Way and S. 15th St. will be open to two-way traffic.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S. 11th St. intersection – traffic restrictions. Crews are installing signals, lighting and foundations for signal poles at the MLK Jr. Way and S. 11th St. intersection, working in a corner at a time. MLK Jr. Way and S. 11th St. are open to two-way traffic. The sidewalk may be closed on the corner where they’re working, so please follow the pedestrian detour. The signals and lighting work at this intersection is expected to take about two weeks, and then crews will do similar work at the Earnest Brazill St. intersection.
- East 25th Street from McKinley Ave. to E. J St. – eastbound lane closure. Crews are installing track, curb and gutter near the Operations and Maintenance Facility on E. 25th St. The contractor advanced the track installation one block west and crossed McKinley Ave. E. Currently, E. 25th St. is closed in both directions between E. G St. and McKinley Avenue E. Please follow the detour on Puyallup Avenue – thank you. The contractor plans to install the cutover tracks in E. 25th St. as soon as June 20. This work will temporarily close service on Tacoma Link from June 20-30. During this time, Sound Transit will provide bus service for Tacoma Link passengers. We will provide more information.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to underground utilities and track installation.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.