Light rail construction begins in U District
JCM Northlink LLC, Sound Transit's excavation and tunneling contractor, is starting work in the U District neighborhood. The traffic changeswill be implemented on Monday, Dec. 16, 2013 and are scheduled to be in place until 2020*.
This work is part of the Northgate Link Extension that will connect the Northgate, Roosevelt and U District neighborhoods to downtown Seattle and Sea-Tac Airport. The extension is scheduled to open in late 2021.
The traffic changes that will be implemented:
- Close Brooklyn Ave. NE between NE 45th and NE 43rd streets
- Close NE 43rd Street between University Way NE and 12th Avenue NE Local Access to the street alleys will be maintained
- Maintain local access on Brooklyn Avenue between NE 43rd and NE 42nd streets
- Insert northbound one way vehicle lane on Brooklyn Avenue NE to eastbound on NE 43rd Street.*
- Maintain East West pedestrian connection at the NE 43rd and Brooklyn Avenue NE intersection
Work you can expect in the next two weeks at the U District construction site (as of 12/13/13)**:
- Traffic control signage installation and striping for street closure
- Signal revision work on NE 45th and Brooklyn Avenue NE
- UW Shuttle Stop relocation to 12th Avenue NE between NE 43rd and NE 45th streets
- Tree/vegetation removal
- Work on the pedestrian pathway along the Varsity Arms Condos
- Utility relocation along Brooklyn Avenue NE between NE 45th and NE 43rd streets
- Installation of the construction wall
- Observation well drilling
On the horizon (1/6/14 and later)
- Utility relocation adjacent to the NE 43rd Street and Brooklyn Avenue NE intersection
- Installation of construction wall
- Pedestrian pathway along the Varsity Arms condos
The work hours are generally Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.**
The vehicle lane will need to be closed temporarily next year. Look for a construction alert with more details in the future.
**Construction schedules are subject to change. Notifications will be sent out for significant changes.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about Sound Transit's U District Station project, please contact Wilbert Santos at (206) 398-5300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report construction issues (after business hours) at our 24-Hour Construction Hotline at 1 (888) 298-2395.
STAY SAFE AND SOUND AROUND LIGHT RAIL CONSTRUCTION:
Obey pedestrian traffic signals
Obey flaggers directing trucks
Watch for trucks AND trailers