N. 1st Street closes between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue for track installation
N. 1st Street is closed between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue in both directions to install track, beginning on March 2. The track installation process will take about 10 weeks. During this time, crews will install two sets of tracks, the platform for the Stadium District station, and new sidewalks and driveways. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
The Division Avenue and S. J Street intersection will be closed for utility work on Saturday, March 7 and Sunday, March 8. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Please follow detours on I St., N. 3rd St., 6th Ave., and MLK Jr. Way.
On Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 18th Street to S. 15th Street, the contractor is installing track. Crews plan to lay asphalt on Wednesday, March 4, which will close MLK Jr. Way in both directions between S. 16th St. and S. 19th St. Please follow the detour on S. J St. After the asphalt work is completed, the contractor will open MLK Jr. Way between S. 18th St. to S. 16th St. to two-way traffic. Crews plan to install underground electrical vaults between S. 15th St. and S. 14th St. as soon as March 5.
In other areas on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, crews are installing stormwater structures at S. 13th Street and underground utilities near S. 3rd Street. On Division Avenue, crews are installing foundations for Link power poles between Yakima Avenue and I Street.
Construction and traffic restrictions on N. 1st Street, Division Avenue, J Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 13th Street, S. 16th Street, S. 17th Street, and Stadium Way
Week of March 2
- N. 1st Street between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue – street closure. Crews will install track on N. 1st St. between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue, closing N. 1st St. in both directions for about 10 weeks. Parking will not be available on N. 1st St., but is available on Tacoma Ave., adjacent streets, and parking lots. Sidewalks are open. Please cross the street at temporary crosswalks and follow the flagger’s directions. Drivers will be able to exit the Columbia Bank’s drive-thru and the driveway that serves Stadium Thriftway and other businesses for most of the track installation. N. G St. is closed at N. 1st St. but otherwise is open. Follow detours on N. 2nd St., N. I St., and Division Ave.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 19th to S. 15th Streets – southbound lane closure and full street closure. Crews continue the track installation process on MLK Jr. Way from S. 18th to S. 15th St. The southbound lane on MLK Jr. Way is closed from S. 15th St. to S. 19th St. The contractor plans to lay asphalt on Wednesday, March 4. During this time, MLK Jr. Way will be closed in both directions from S. 16th St. to S. 19th St. In addition, S. 16th St. and S. 17th St. are closed on the west side of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. Please follow the detour on S. J St. After the asphalt is ready, crews will open up the blocks on MLK Jr. Way from S. 18th St. to S. 16th St. to traffic and parking.
In addition, rail strands are stored in the street right-of-way on the east side of MLK Jr. Way between S. 16th and S. 18th Streets. Ultimately, crews will install this rail in MLK Jr. Way. During rail storage, S. 17th St. east of MLK Jr. Way is closed.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 15th Street to S. 14th Street – lane restriction. Crews plan to install underground vaults as part of the track installation process on MLK Jr. Way from S. 15th St. to S. 14th St. later this week, as soon as Thursday, March 5. The vaults will be installed in the center of the street with two-way traffic maintained. The contractor plans to move the track installation set up across S. 15th St. to S. 13th St. early next week, as soon as March 9.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way at S. 13th Street – southbound lane closure. Crews are installing stormwater pipes and structures at MLK Jr. Way and S. 13th St. MLK Jr. Way is closed to southbound traffic from Earnest Brazill St. to S. 14th St. In addition, S. 13th St. will be closed on either side of MLK Jr. Way to the alleys, starting on the east side of MLK Jr. Way. Crews will open MLK Jr. Way to two-way traffic during non-working hours, if possible. Please follow the detour on S. J St. This work is expected to be completed by the end of this week.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Division Ave. to S. 3rd St. – southbound lane closure. Crews continue to install a sewer line on MLK Jr. Way near S. 3rd St. The southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way is closed at Division Ave., and open to northbound traffic from the Baker Center to Division Ave. Please follow the detour routes on J St. to 6th Ave. to MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. Please allow an extra 15 minutes to get to your appointment. The contractor anticipates opening MLK Jr. Way to two-way traffic between Division and S. 3rd St. on Thursday, March 5.
- Division Avenue and J Street intersection – intersection closed on March 7 and 8. Crews will install underground utilities at the Division and J St. intersection on Saturday, March 7 and Sunday, March 8, completing closing this intersection. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Please follow the detours on I St., N. 3rd St., 6th Ave., and MLK Jr. Way.
- Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and I Street – lane restriction. Crews are installing foundations for Link power poles on the north side of Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and I Street. Two-way traffic is maintained on Division Ave.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to S. 4th St. – southbound lane closure; use detours. Stadium Way is open to two-way traffic between S. 4th St. and I-705. Northbound traffic on Stadium Way is open from I-705 to Tacoma Avenue, including turns at S. 4th St., Division Ave., Broadway and Tacoma Ave. Southbound Stadium Way will continue to be closed from Division Avenue to S. 4th St. as crews install track and foundations for Link power poles as well as work on the traction power substation. Please follow detour routes on Tacoma Avenue, St. Helens and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or I-705.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.