Rail welding begins on Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S. 15th St. and S. 18th St. this week
Crews are welding rail segments on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way in between S. 15th Street and S. 18th Street. Welding will take about four weeks. Then, the longer rail strands will be stored on the east side of MLK Jr. Way between S. 16th and S. 18th Streets. On Hilltop, crews continue utility work at the MLK Jr. Way and S. 14th Street intersection and continue the water line work on MLK Jr. Way from S. 8th Street to S. 7th Street.
On Division Avenue, crews will work on K Street near Division Avenue. Yakima Avenue will be closed at Division Avenue for electrical work. Please note that there will be no weekend work at this intersection during the weekend of Nov. 23 and 24.
Crews will install foundations for Link power poles on N. 1st Street from G Street to Tacoma Avenue. The contractor is installing track and foundations for Link power poles on the east side of Stadium Way, as people drive northbound on the west side of Stadium Way in the lane with the newly installed track.
Looking ahead, the contractor will not be working during Thanksgiving break (Nov. 28 – Dec. 1). Happy Thanksgiving!
Construction and traffic restrictions on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 17th Street, S. 16th Street, S. 14th Street, Division Avenue, Yakima Avenue, N. 1st Street, S. 4th Street, and Stadium Way
Nov. 18 – Dec. 1
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 18th to S. 15th Streets – lane restrictions. Crews are welding rail segments on the east side of MLK Jr. Way in between S. 16th and S. 18th Streets. This rail welding looks like an assembly line as crews move small rail segments off a pile and through several steps to transform it into a nearly 300-foot long rail strand. Then, the longer rail strands are stored in the street right-of-way on the east side of MLK Jr. Way between S. 17th St. and S. 18th St. The rail will be stored in this area for about 10-12 months. Two-way traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr. Way during rail welding and storage. S. 17th St. and S. 16th St. are both closed just east of the MLK Jr. Way intersection during welding. The crosswalk is closed at S. 17th Street, and sidewalk from S. 17th St. to S. 16th St. is closed during welding for safety.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S. 13th to 15th Street – northbound lane closure. Crews are doing utility work at the intersection of 14th St. and MLK Jr. Way. The northbound lane of MLK Jr. Way will be closed from S. 15th St. to S. 13th St. In addition, S. 14th Street will be closed in both directions for about a half-block to the alleys.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 9th Street to S. 7th Street – lane restrictions. The contractor is installing a water line on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 9th Street o S. 7th Street. Two-way traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr. Way. Crews are expected to continue the water work at the S. 7th Street and S. 8th Street intersections.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. – lane restrictions. Crews are installing underground utilities on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. near Jackson Hall and the Baker Center. Crews plan to start the second jack-and-bore operation on the Baker pedestrian tunnel this week. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. Please allow extra time to get to your appointment.
- Division Avenue from J Street to K Street – lane closure. Division Avenue is closed to westbound traffic from J St. to Martin Luther King Jr. Way to install utilities underground. In addition, the contractor will do utility work just north of K Street. Please follow the detour on 6th Ave. to Sprague Ave.
- Yakima Avenue at Division Avenue – street closure. The contractor will do electrical work across Yakima Avenue near Division Avenue, starting this week. Yakima Avenue will be closed at Division Avenue. The crosswalk across Division Ave. also will be closed. This electrical work will be completed by Thanksgiving.
- N. 1st Street from N. G Street to Tacoma Avenue – lane restrictions. The contractor is potholing and creating the foundations for Link power poles on N. 1st Street between N. G St. and Tacoma Ave. Two-way traffic is maintained on N. 1st Street.
- S. 4th St. between Broadway and Stadium Way – closed. Currently, S. 4th St. is closed between Broadway and Stadium Way. Crews are working on a water line on S. 4th St., and will pour concrete for a new sidewalk on S. 4th St.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to the 705 onramp -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Crews are installing track and foundations for Link power poles on the east side of Stadium Way from Division Ave, to the 705 onramp. People will drive northbound on the lane with the newly installed track. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to the 705 onramp. Please follow detour routes on St. Helens, Tacoma Avenue and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from the 705 to Tacoma Avenue with left turns at S. 4th St. and Division Ave. Commerce St. also is open to two-way traffic. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place. Buses will follow detour routes.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.
Construction crews close a portion of Martin Luther King Jr. Way for rail welding in Tacoma.
Construction crews weld rail on Martin Luther King Jr. Way in Tacoma.