Southbound Stadium Way closes between 4th St. and the 705 onramp on September 16
Sound Transit’s contractor will build the foundations for Link power poles on the west side of Stadium Way from S. 4th Street to the 705 on-ramp, starting September 16. On Stadium Way from Division Ave. to S. 4th Street, the contractor continues to install track and build foundations for the power poles. With crews working in several places along Stadium Way, southbound Stadium Way is closed from Broadway to the 705 on-ramp. The southbound Stadium Way lane closure is expected to last several months – at least through the end of 2019. Please follow detour routes on Broadway, St. Helens and Tacoma Avenue, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp.
At the Division Avenue and J Street intersection, crews are working on underground utilities and will install a temporary bypass near J Street and N. 3rd Street. Near Tacoma General Hospital, crews are installing utilities on the west side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St.
In Hilltop, the contractor continues utility work on S. 8th Street between the alley and S. L Street. In addition, crews continue to install a new water line as well as Link power poles on Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 14th Street to S. 16th Street.
On Commerce Street, crews will build foundations for Link power poles between 7th Street and 9th Street.
Looking ahead, the contractor plans to close the Stadium Way and Division Avenue intersection to install track in this intersection, as soon as Monday, September 23. In addition, Tacoma Water crews will move to Martin Luther King Jr. Way between 16th and 18th Street to connect customers to the new water line, starting next week.
Construction and traffic restrictions on Stadium Way, Division Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 8th Street, S. 15th Street, and Commerce Street.
Week of September 16
- Stadium Way from Broadway to the 705 onramp -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to the 705 onramp. Please follow detour routes on Broadway, St. Helens and Tacoma Avenue, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from the 705 to Tacoma Ave. Crews are installing foundations for Link power poles and removing pavement for track installation. On Stadium Way between Division Ave. and S. 4th St., crews will move rail into position on the west side of the street. They plan to do concrete pours in this section next week. In addition, crews are replacing a couple of panels of the test track. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp.
- Division Avenue and J Street intersection – street closure. N. J Street is closed at the Division Ave. intersection. Crews are installing utilities underground. In addition, the contractor plans to install a temporary bypass pipe near N. 3rd St. and J St.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. – lane restrictions. Crews are installing underground utilities on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. near Jackson Hall and the Baker Center. Two-way traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers remains open. This work is expected to take 8 weeks.
- S. 8th Street from Martin Luther King Jr. Way to S. L Street – street closure. Crews continue to install stormwater pipes and structures on S. 8th Street west of MLK Jr. Way from the alley to S. L Street. S. 8th Street is closed from MLK Jr. Way to L St. This work is expected to take two weeks. Then the contractor will move to the intersection of L St. and 8th St., followed by additional work on S. 8th St. east of MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S. 14th to 16th Street – southbound lane closure. The southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way is closed at S. 14th St. to S. 16th St. for water line work. In addition, crews continue building foundations for the Link power poles in this area. During non-working hours, MLK Jr. Way will be open to two-way traffic, and parking will be available.
- Commerce Street from 7th Street to 9th Street – lane restrictions. Crews will build the foundations for Link power poles Commerce Street between 7th St. and 9th St. Two-way traffic is maintained on Commerce St.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.