Stadium Way open to two-way traffic from S. 4th St. to I-705. Division Avenue closed at Stadium Way.
Stadium Way is open to two-way traffic between S. 4th Street and I-705, starting on Feb. 24. Northbound traffic on Stadium Way is open from I-705 to Tacoma Avenue, including turns at S. 4th Street, Broadway and Tacoma Avenue. Division Avenue is closed at Stadium Way this week for paving. Crews are doing utility abandonment work this week on N. 1st St. Starting as soon as March 2, the contractor plans to install track on N. 1st Street, closing most of N. 1st Street between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue.
On Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 18th Street to S. 15th Street, the contractor is installing track. Crews plan to do concrete pours on Wednesday, Feb. 26 and Friday, Feb. 28 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. During these times, MLK Jr. Way will be closed in both directions between S. 16th St. and S. 19th St. Please follow the detour on S. J St.
In other areas on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, crews are installing stormwater structures at S. 13th Street and underground utilities near S. 3rd Street. On Division Avenue, crews are installing foundations for Link power poles between Yakima Avenue and I Street.
Construction and traffic restrictions on N. 1st Street, Division Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 13th Street, S. 16th Street, S. 17th Street, and Stadium Way
Week of February 24
- Stadium Way from Broadway to S. 4th St. -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Stadium Way is open to two-way traffic between S. 4th St. and I-705, opening on Feb. 24. Northbound traffic on Stadium Way is open from I-705 to Tacoma Avenue, including turns at S. 4th St., Broadway and Tacoma Ave. Southbound Stadium Way will continue to be closed from Division Avenue to S. 4th St. as crews install track and foundations for Link power poles as well as work on the traction power substation. Please follow detour routes on Tacoma Avenue, St. Helens and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or I-705.
- Division Avenue at Stadium Way – intersection closure. Crews are cleaning up and paving the Division Avenue and Stadium Way intersection, closing Division Avenue at Stadium Way. There are no turns at this intersection. Northbound Stadium Way continues to be open to Tacoma Avenue, including access to Stadium High School and the residents and businesses on Stadium Way. The contractor plans to open this intersection before installing track on N. 1st Street in early March.
- N. 1st Street – lane closure. The contractor is removing or filling in abandoned utilities on N. 1st St., closing one lane of traffic. Crews will work on one side of the street and then the other side, changing the closed lane of traffic. This utility abandonment work is expected to last this week. Then, crews plan to install the next section of track on N. 1st St. between Tacoma Avenue and Yakima Avenue, which will close most of N. 1st St., starting as soon as March 2.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way at S. 13th Street – southbound lane closure. Crews are installing stormwater pipes and structures at MLK Jr. Way and S. 13th St. MLK Jr. Way is closed to southbound traffic from Earnest Brazill St. to S. 14th St. In addition, S. 13th St. will be closed on either side of MLK Jr. Way to the alleys, starting on the east side of MLK Jr. Way. Crews will open MLK Jr. Way to two-way traffic during non-working hours, if possible. Please follow the detour on S. J St.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 19th to S. 15th Streets – southbound lane closure and full street closure. Crews continue the track installation process on MLK Jr. Way from S. 18th to S. 15th St. The southbound lane on MLK Jr. Way is closed from S. 15th St. to S. 19th St. The contractor plans to pour concrete around the rail on Wednesday, Feb. 26 and Friday, Feb. 28 from 9 am to 3 p.m. During these times, MLK Jr. Way will be closed in both directions from S. 16th St. to S. 19th St. In addition, S. 16th St. and S. 17th St. are closed on the west side of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. Please follow the detour on S. J St.
In addition, rail strands are stored in the street right-of-way on the east side of MLK Jr. Way between S. 16th and S. 18th Streets. Ultimately, crews will install this rail in MLK Jr. Way. During rail storage, S. 17th St. east of MLK Jr. Way is closed.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Division Ave. to S. 3rd St. – southbound lane closure. Crews continue to install a sewer line on MLK Jr. Way near S. 3rd St. The southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way is closed at Division Ave., and open to northbound traffic from the Baker Center to Division Ave. Please follow the detour routes on J St. to 6th Ave. to MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. Please allow an extra 15 minutes to get to your appointment.
- Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and I Street – lane restriction. Crews are installing foundations for Link power poles on the north side of Division Avenue between Yakima Avenue and I Street. Two-way traffic is maintained on Division Ave.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.