Street closures on N. 1st Street and Commerce Street. Traffic impacts on Division Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr Way and Stadium Way during the week of March 11
The contractor is expected to close parts of N. 1st Street and Commerce Street for stormwater work. Crews will continue sewer work along Division Avenue from Yakima Avenue to I Street, and underground work in front of Tacoma General Hospital along Martin Luther King Jr. Way. The contractor will install stormwater pipes on Stadium Way north of I-705, and start electrical trenching for signals on 4th St. near Stadium Way. Crews continue to create pole foundations along Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
Construction and traffic closures on N. 1st Street, Commerce Street, Division Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, and Stadium Way.
Week of March 11
- N. 1st St. from Tacoma Ave to G Street – street closure. N. 1st St. will be closed in both directions from Tacoma Avenue to G. St. to begin the stormwater work. N. 1st St. will be open to one-way traffic from G. St. to Yakima.
- Commerce Street: 7th St. to I-705 on-ramp – street closure. Commerce St. in between 7th St. and the I-705 onramp will be closed in both directions. To access I-705, follow the detour to S. 9th St. and A St. The contractor is installing a new stormwater system and bypass. The bypass will be placed on Broadway and go down the Spanish Steps. Work can occur day and night (24-hour construction).
- Division Avenue from Yakima Ave to I Street – southbound lane closure. The southbound lane on Division is closed in between Yakima Ave and I St. The intersection at Yakima and Division and the alley north of Yakima are temporarily closed. Two-way traffic is maintained. Crews are working on a sewer line.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way near 3rd St – lane restriction. The lane near Tacoma General Hospital is closed for underground utility work. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way in between 17th St and 14th St – lane restrictions. Crews are creating pole foundations, including doing potholing on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way, starting at 17th St. and going north to 14th St. Two-way traffic will be maintained.
- Stadium Way: southbound lane closure; use detours. Southbound on Stadium Way continues to be closed to traffic from Broadway to South 4th St. Please follow the detours on St. Helens Ave., Broadway and Tacoma Ave. One-way traffic going north on Stadium Way is open. The contractor is working on both water and storm drainage systems. Crews will install stormwater pipe on Stadium Way just north of I-705.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead, leave early and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.
Outreach Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-208-0586
After-hours construction hotline: 888-298-2395