Track installation begins on Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 19th Street to S. 15th Street
On Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 19th Street to S. 15th Street, the contractor is starting the process to install track. This week, crews will install underground vaults in the center of MLK Jr. Way from S. 19th St. to S. 15th St. Then, crews will start to remove asphalt on the west side of MLK Jr. Way in this area. Over the coming weeks, they will move the rail into place and then pour concrete around the rail. Please follow the detour on S. J St.
Crews will install a stormwater line on MLK Jr. Way near S. 3rd St. The driveway to the Jackson Hall parking garage will be closed from Feb 7 – 9. Hospitals and medical centers are open. Please allow an extra 15 minutes to get to your appointment.
In the Stadium District, crews are installing track in the N. Tacoma Ave and N. 1st St. intersection, closing this intersection. Please follow detours on N. 2nd St., Yakima Ave., and Division Ave. On Stadium Way, crews continue to install track and foundations for Link power poles and build the traction power substation on the west side of Stadium Way north of S. 4th Street. In addition, the contractor will start potholing on Commerce Street in between 9th Street and 7th Street this week.
Construction and traffic restrictions on N. 1st Street, N. Tacoma Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Earnest Brazill Street, S. 16th Street, S. 17th Street, Stadium Way, and Commerce Street
Week of February 3
- N. Tacoma Avenue and N. 1st Street intersection – intersection closure. Track installation at N. Tacoma Avenue and N. 1st Street continues, closing the intersection. Please follow detours on N. 2nd St., Yakima Avenue, and Division Ave. Stadium Way/N. E Street north of Division Ave. is open to local traffic for residences, businesses and Stadium High School – please turn left onto Broadway. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., including working on weekends. For bus routes 11, 13 and 16, temporary bus stops are located at Division Avenue and Tacoma Avenue.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 19th to S. 15th Streets – southbound lane closure. Crews are starting the process to install track on MLK Jr. Way between S. 19th and S. 15th St. This week, crews will install underground electrical vaults in the center of MLK Jr. Way. The southbound lane on MLK Jr. Way is closed from S. 15th St. to S. 19th St. Please follow the detour on S. J St. In addition, S. 17th St. and S. 16th St. are closed on the west side of MLK Jr. Way to the alleys.
In addition, rail strands are stored in the street right-of-way on the east side of MLK Jr. Way in between S. 16th and S. 18th Streets. Ultimately, crews will install this rail in MLK Jr. Way. During rail storage, S. 17th St. east of MLK Jr. Way is closed.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and Earnest Brazill Street – lane restriction. Crews are working on traffic signals and lighting on MLK Jr. Way at Earnest Brazill. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 13th St. to S. 11th St – lane restriction. Crews are installing foundations for Link power poles on MLK Jr. Way between S. 13th St. and S. 11th St. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Division Ave. to S. 3rd St. – southbound lane closure. Because of utility work, the southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way is closed at Division Ave., and open to northbound traffic from the Baker Center to Division Ave. Please follow the detour routes on J St. to 6th Ave. to MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. Please allow an extra 15 minutes to get to your appointment.
- Commerce Street from 9th Street to 7th Street – lane restriction. Crews will start potholing and installing foundations for Link power poles on Commerce Street from S. 9th St. to S. 7th St. Two-way traffic is maintained on Commerce St.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to the 705 onramp -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Crews continue to install foundations for Link power poles on the east side of Stadium Way from Division Ave. to the 705 onramp. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to the 705 onramp. Please follow detour routes on St. Helens, Tacoma Avenue and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from the 705 to Tacoma Avenue with left turns at S. 4th St. and Division Ave. Commerce St. also is open to two-way traffic. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.
Additional Construction Photos