Track installation continues near Tacoma General. Access open to the Emergency Department and medical centers
Crews continue installing track on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd Street to 6th Avenue near Tacoma General and Mary Bridge hospitals. Access is open to hospitals, medical centers and the emergency department. To access the Emergency Department, please follow Martin Luther King Jr. Way south from Division Avenue and turn left at S. 5th St. Enter at S. 5th St. and exit through the alley to 6th Avenue. Please allow extra time to reach your destination – thank you. Crews will pull rail into place in this section on Wed, Dec. 30 at 5 a.m.
Crews continue to install track on the east side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 17th St. to S. 19th St., and this work will continue until Jan 5. The contractor also is installing track on E. 25th St. near the Operations and Maintenance Facility.
Looking ahead, crews plan to start installing a sewer line on Commerce St. from S. 9th St. to the crosswalk near the Theater District Station as soon as Jan. 4. The contractor will install track across 6th Avenue as soon as Jan. 4 and on Division Avenue from Yakima Ave to I St. as soon as Jan. 11. The contactor will not be working from Dec. 31 to Jan 3. Happy New Year!
COVID-19. The health and safety of all workers on Sound Transit’s construction sites are of utmost importance to us. Our contractors have primary responsibility for their wellbeing while working on our projects. Sound Transit is actively working with the contractors and construction management teams on all our projects to assure that public health guidelines are being followed.
Construction and traffic restrictions at Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 17th Street, S. 18th Street, and E. 25th Street.
Week of December 28
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd Street to 6th Avenue – northbound lane closure. Crews are installing track on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to 6th Avenue. Crews will pull rail into place on Wed, Dec. 30 at 5 a.m. To access Tacoma General’s Emergency Department, follow MLK Jr. Way south from Division Avenue and turn left at 5th St. The detour route is S. J St. Please allow extra time to reach your destination – thank you. As soon as Jan 4., crews will continue the track installation across 6th Avenue.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 17 St. to S. 19th St. – street closure and intersection closures. Crews are installing track on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 17th St. to S. 19th St. Crews will excavate, bring rail into place, pour concrete around the rail, and pave. Martin Luther King Jr. Way is closed in both directions from S. 19th St. to S. 17th St., and S. 17th St., and S. 18th St. are closed east of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. Please follow the detour on S. J St. This work is expected to continue until Jan. 5.
- East 25th Street from E. G St. to E. J St. – eastbound lane closure. Crews are installing track on E. 25th St. near the Operations and Maintenance Facility, closing E. 25th St. to eastbound traffic between E. G St. and E. J St. Please follow the detour on Puyallup Avenue.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.