Track installation on MLK Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 6th Ave
Crews continue installing track on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S 3rd St to S. 6th Ave near Kaiser Permanente and Tacoma General. Access is open to hospitals, medical centers and the emergency department. Emergency Department and Jackson Hall are best accessed via MLK Jr. Way southbound from Division Ave, or east from S. 5th St. Please allow extra time to reach your appointment – thank you.
Crews continue to install track on the east side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 17th St. to S. 19th St., and this work will continue until Dec. 30. The contractor also is installing track on E. 25th St. near the Operations and Maintenance Facility.
Looking ahead, crews plan to start installing a sewer line on Commerce St. from S. 9th St. to the crosswalk near the Theater District Station as soon as Jan. 4.
COVID-19. The health and safety of all workers on Sound Transit’s construction sites are of utmost importance to us. Our contractors have primary responsibility for their wellbeing while working on our projects. Sound Transit is actively working with the contractors and construction management teams on all our projects to assure that public health guidelines are being followed.
Construction and traffic restrictions at Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 17th Street, S. 18th Street, and E. 25th Street.
Week of December 21
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from Division Avenue to S. 5th Street – northbound lane closure. Crews are installing track on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St to 6th Ave. The northbound lane of MLK Jr. Way from 6th Ave to S. 3rd St. is closed. To access Kaiser Permanente, please follow S. J St. to S. 3rd St. to their parking garage and front entrance. To access Tacoma General’s Emergency Department, follow MLK Jr. Way north from 6th Ave., south from Division Ave., or east on 5th St. The detour route is S. J St. Please allow extra time to reach your appointment – thank you.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 17 St. to S. 19th St. – street closure and intersection closures. Crews are installing track on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 17th St. to S. 19th St. Crews will excavate, bring rail into place, pour concrete around the rail, and pave. Martin Luther King Jr. Way is closed in both directions from S. 19th St. to S. 17th St., and S. 17th St., and S. 18th St. are closed east of MLK Jr. Way to the alley. Please follow the detour on S. J St. This work is expected to continue until Dec. 30.
- East 25th Street from E. G St. to E. J St. – eastbound lane closure. Crews are installing track on E. 25th St. near the Operations and Maintenance Facility, closing E. 25th St. to eastbound traffic between E. G St. and E. J St. Please follow the detour on Puyallup Avenue.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.