Track installation in the Stadium Way and Division Avenue intersection begins July 19
Crews will install the remaining section of track on the west side of Stadium Way across Division Avenue, as soon as July 19. This work is expected to last until the end of August. During this time, Stadium Way will be closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to just south of Division Ave., and Division Ave. will be closed to thru-traffic from Broadway to Stadium Way. Stadium Way will be open to northbound traffic. Please follow the detour on Tacoma Ave., St. Helens or Broadway and allow extra time to reach your destination – thank you.
This week, crews continue to install curb and gutter on MLK Jr. Way from S. 16th St. to S. 13th St. (and signals at S. 15th St.) as well as signals and lighting at MLK Jr. Way and 6th Avenue. On Commerce Street, crews are installing track, underground electrical systems, curb and gutter. On E. 25th Street, crews are installing track, curb and gutter.
Looking ahead, the contractor plans to install the overhead catenary wires on Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S. 19th St. and S. 15th St. next week. In addition, crews will install signals and lighting in the MLK Jr. Way and S. 9th St. intersection next week.
COVID-19. The health and safety of all workers on Sound Transit’s construction sites are of utmost importance to us. Our contractors have primary responsibility for their wellbeing while working on our projects. Sound Transit is actively working with the contractors and construction management teams on all our projects to assure that public health guidelines are being followed.
Construction and traffic restrictions at Commerce Street, S. 7th Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, 6th Avenue, and E. 25th Street
Week of July 12
- Commerce Street from I-705 to S. 9th Street – southbound lane closure. Crews are installing track, the underground electrical system, curb, gutter, and the platform for the Old City Hall Station. Commerce St. is closed to southbound traffic between I-705 and S. 9th St. The northbound lane is open between S. 7th St. and I-705. Access to driveways and parking lots is maintained, or alternate parking is provided. From I-705, follow the detour north on Stadium Way or take an earlier exit.
- Commerce Street from S. 9th St. to S. 7th St. – closed to thru traffic. Crews are installing electrical systems and track on Commerce St. between S. 9th St. and S. 7th St. Northbound Commerce St. is open to local traffic to access driveways and parking garages/lots.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and 6th Avenue intersection – traffic restrictions. Crews are installing lighting, traffic signals, and foundations for signal poles at the 6th Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Way intersection. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Martin Luther King Jr. Way and 6th Avenue.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 16th St. to S. 13th St. – traffic restrictions. Crews are installing curb and gutter on the east side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 16th St. to S. 13th St. Martin Luther King Jr. Way is open to two-way traffic. Parking is not available on either side of the street in this area. The side streets may close, as work occurs across these streets.
- East 25th Street from E. G St. to McKinley Ave. – street closure. Crews are installing track, and curb and gutter on E. 25th St. from E. G St. to the Operations and Maintenance Facility. E. 25th St. is closed in both directions between E. G St. and McKinley Avenue E. Please follow the detour on Puyallup Avenue – thank you.
- East 25th Street from McKinley Ave. to E. J St. – eastbound lane closure. E. 25th St. is closed to eastbound traffic in front of the expanded Operations and Maintenance Facility for track installation, underground electrical work, and curb and gutter work. Please follow the detour on Puyallup Ave.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Buses will follow detour routes. Visit PierceTransit.org for information.
- Construction noise related to underground utilities and track installation.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.