University District Neighborhood Construction Update
Major Changes to the U District Station site from June 2018 – July 2019
As early as Friday June, 8, you will begin to see the first of several changes around the U District Station site. The contractor is preparing to install the underground roof of the building under NE 43rd Street and finish the station. Below are the initial changes that will take place to accommodate these activities:
What to expect:
- The temporary bridge that was constructed on NE 43rd Street (in front of the University Manor Apartments) has to be removed to allow the contractor to finish construction of the station. This part of NE 43rd Street will be closed to vehicular traffic until July 2019. (see map). A security barrior will be installed along the curb to allow pedestrians to walk on the sidewalk.
- A new load/unload zone will be added along the east side of Brooklyn Ave NE (see map).
- The pedestrian pathway around the U District construction site will remain open during the week. (7am – 6pm).
- Work Hours: 7:00 am – 3:00 pm Monday – Friday for the removal of the sound wall and temporary bridge.
- Work Activities: Sawcutting, jack hammering, removal of sound wall.
The Northgate Link Extension will connect the Northgate, Roosevelt and U District neighborhoods to downtown Seattle and Sea-Tac Airport. Fast, reliable service will provide relief to one of the region's most congested traffic areas. The 4.3-mile extension is expected to be open for service in 2021.