Weekend night closure of portion of 1st Ave NE
As early as Saturday, Feb. 1, a portion of 1st Ave NE will be closed while Sound Transit's contractor delivers the Traction Power Substation (TPSS) to Northgate Station. TPSS units provide electricity to the overhead wires which power light rail vehicles. To safely complete this work, a portion of 1st Ave NE will be closed overnight as crews lift the TPSS into place at the elevated station.
Weekend closure of portion of 1st Ave NE for Traction Power Substation (TPSS) delivery at Northgate Station.
Saturday, Feb. 1, 9 p.m. to Sunday, Feb. 2, 7 a.m. This is night-time work only.
1st Ave NE between NE 100th and NE 103rd Streets (see map).
- Interstate 5 express lanes: Access to northeast 103rd Street on- and off-ramp to and from the express lanes will be maintained. Drivers must proceed east on NE 103rd Street or North on 1st Ave NE.
- Crews will use the closed North Seattle Park-and-Ride lot for staging. A crane will be used to lift the TPSS unit at the station.
- A Temporary Noise Variance has been issued by the City of Seattle for this work.
- Access to Northgate Mall and Northgate Transit Center will be maintained.
- Equipment used, semi-trucks and trailers, crane, light plants and pick-up trucks.
The road and sidewalk restoration around Northgate Station is an ongoing process. This work includes road grinding, which creates grooved pavement. Drivers please proceed cautiously and follow the directions of the flaggers.