Yakima Ave and Division Ave intersection closes during the weekend of October 25
The Yakima Avenue and Division Avenue intersection will be closed for electrical and paving work during the weekend of October 25-28. The contractor obtained a noise variance from the City of Tacoma and can work during the day and night (continuous construction).
In Hilltop, crews will work on the water line on Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 11th Street to S. 9th Street. Crews also will move utility work from MLK Jr. Way and S. 16th Street to the S. 14th St. intersection. In addition, the contractor will work on traffic signals and lighting at MLK Jr. Way and S. 18th Street.
In the Stadium District, crews will do potholing on N. 1st Street between Division Avenue and Tacoma Avenue. The contractor continues to install track and foundations for Link power poles on Stadium Way.
Looking ahead, crews may do utility work near the Division Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Way intersection starting as soon as October 28.
Construction and traffic restrictions on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 18th Street, S. 14th Street, Division Avenue, Yakima Avenue, N. 1st Street, S. 4th Street, and Stadium Way
Week of October 21
- Yakima Avenue and Division Avenue – intersection closure. The Yakima Avenue and Division Avenue intersection will be closed from Friday, Oct. 25 at 8 p.m. to Monday, Oct. 28 at 5 a.m. for traffic signal, lighting and paving work at the intersection. Please follow detours on I St., 6th Ave., and Tacoma Ave. The contractor obtained a noise variance from the City of Tacoma and can work during the day and night (continuous construction).
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 11th Street to S. 9th Street – lane restrictions and street closure. The contractor will start the water line work on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S. 11th St. to 9th St., starting at S. 11th St. and working north. As the work progresses to S. 10th St, crews will close S. 10th Street on the east side of MLK Jr. Way for about a half block to the alley. The water line work from 11th St. to just south of 9th St. is expected to take about two weeks. Two-way traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr. Way and on S. 11th Street.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S. 13th to 15th Street – northbound lane closure. Crews will move to the intersection of 14th St. and MLK Jr. Way later this week. The northbound lane of MLK Jr. Way will be closed from S. 15th St. to S. 13th St. while crews do stormwater and sewer work. In addition, S. 14th Street will be closed in both directions for about a half-block to the alleys. The work in this section is expected to take about three weeks.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and 18th Street – lane restrictions and intersection closure. S. 18th St. will be closed east of MLK Jr. Way for about a half-block for traffic signal and lighting work at the intersection. The electrical work at this intersection will take about three weeks, and then crews will move to the MLK Jr. Way and 17th St. intersection.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. – lane restrictions. Crews are installing underground utilities on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. near Jackson Hall and the Baker Center. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. To access Jackson Hall, please enter through the Jackson Hall parking garage or take the pedestrian tunnel from Tacoma General Hospital. Flaggers will assist pedestrians. Please allow extra time to get to your appointment.
- Division Avenue from J Street to Martin Luther King Jr. Way -- lane restrictions. Two-way traffic is maintained on Division Avenue from J St. to Martin Luther King Jr. Way. Crews stopped working temporarily to prepare for utility work near the Division Ave. and MLK Jr. Way intersection.
- N. 1st Street from Division Avenue to Tacoma Avenue – lane restrictions. The contractor will do potholing on N. 1st Street between Division and Tacoma Ave. Two-way traffic will be maintained on N. 1st Street. When potholing is completed, crews will build the foundations for Link power poles in this area.
- S. 4th St. between Broadway and Stadium Way – closed. Currently, S. 4th St. is closed between Broadway and Stadium Way while crews install track on Stadium Way. The contractor plans to open S. 4th St. to two-way traffic and left turns at Stadium Way next week.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to the 705 onramp -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to the 705 onramp. Please follow detour routes on St. Helens, Tacoma Avenue and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from the 705 to Tacoma Avenue with left turns at S. 4th St. and Division Ave. Commerce St. also is open to two-way traffic. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp. Crews are installing track and foundations for Link power poles.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.