West Seattle/Ballard project updates
Get the latest on this project in your inbox.
The West Seattle and Ballard Link Extensions will provide fast, reliable light rail connections to dense residential and job centers throughout the region. In addition, a new downtown Seattle light rail tunnel will provide capacity for the entire regional system to operate efficiently. These two separate light rail extensions are part of the regional ST3 package that voters approved funding for in November 2016.
- 2030 - West Seattle to downtown
- Adds 4.7 miles of light rail service from downtown Seattle to West Seattle's Alaska Junction neighborhood.
- Includes 5 stations between the Stadium area and Alaska Junction.
- 2035 - Ballard to downtown
- Adds 7.1 miles of light rail service from downtown Seattle to Ballard, including a new downtown Seattle rail-only tunnel.
- Includes 9 stations between International District/Chinatown and NW Market Street in Ballard.
Learn about the Level 3 "end-to-end" options.
Since the project's kickoff, we've been collecting public feedback to develop, study, and narrow down route alternatives. The alternatives development process for this project consists of three levels, where the most promising alternatives at each level have been carried forward to be studied in greater detail based on technical analyses, advisory group recommendations and community feedback. Level 3 evaluation includes three end-to-end alternatives, plus a few design options. Click the button below to view maps and information about these alternatives.