West Seattle/Ballard project updates
Get the latest on this project in your inbox.
The West Seattle and Ballard Link Extensions will provide fast, reliable light rail connections to dense residential and job centers throughout the region. In addition, a new downtown Seattle light rail tunnel will provide capacity for the entire regional system to operate efficiently. These two separate Link extensions are part of the regional transit system expansion approved by voters in November 2016.
- 2030 - West Seattle to downtown
- Adds 4.7 miles of light rail service from downtown Seattle to West Seattle's Alaska Junction neighborhood.
- Includes 4 new stations between SODO and Alaska Junction.
- 2035 - Ballard to downtown
- Adds 7.1 miles of light rail service from downtown Seattle to Ballard, including a new downtown Seattle rail-only tunnel.
- Includes 9 new stations between Chinatown-International District and Market Street.
Current project status
The Sound Transit Board has identified preferred alternatives and other alternatives to study in a Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The Draft EIS is the next step in the environmental review process, where we will evaluate potential impacts and benefits of the alternatives on the natural, built and social environment, and identify potential mitigation measures. The Draft EIS is anticipated to be released in early 2021 for public review and comment.