West Seattle/Ballard project updates
Get the latest on this project in your inbox.
The West Seattle and Ballard Link Extensions will provide fast, reliable light rail connections to dense residential and job centers throughout the region. In addition, a new downtown Seattle light rail tunnel will provide capacity for the entire regional system to operate efficiently. These two separate light rail extensions are part of the regional ST3 package that voters approved funding for in November 2016.
- 2030 - West Seattle to downtown
- Adds 4.7 miles of light rail service from downtown Seattle to West Seattle's Alaska Junction neighborhood.
- Includes 5 stations between the Stadium area and Alaska Junction.
- 2035 - Ballard to downtown
- Adds 7.1 miles of light rail service from downtown Seattle to Ballard, including a new downtown Seattle rail-only tunnel.
- Includes 9 stations between International District/Chinatown and NW Market Street in Ballard.
Current project status
In May 2019, the Sound Transit Board identified preferred alternatives and other alternatives to study in an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The Board also directed project staff to conduct an initial assessment of additional alternatives that were suggested during the last scoping period to establish whether further detailed study in the Draft EIS is appropriate.
The project is now in environmental review. During this phase, we will prepare and publish a Draft EIS, hold public meetings to ask for your comments and publish a Final EIS. The Board will select the project to build after the Final EIS is issued.