Access improvements at Kent Sounder Station moving forward
In November 2017, the Sound Transit Board identified a preferred package of parking and access improvements for the Kent Sounder station:
- A new parking garage located at East James Street and Railroad Avenue North, which will add approximately 500 new parking spaces. (Site 3 in the map below.)
- A package of pedestrian, bicycle and transit access improvements.
Sound Transit has started conceptual engineering and environmental review on these improvements. This includes evaluating site conditions and refining configuration of the garage and nonmotorized improvements.
Sound Transit, in coordination with the City of Kent, is also preparing an environmental evaluation document, which analyzes potential impacts to the community and environment, and identifies proposed mitigation to address and reduce potential impacts. The environmental document is anticipated to be available for public review and comment in early 2019.
After review of the design, technical data, environmental information, and public comments, the Sound Transit Board will select the project to be built, and will advance design.
Opportunities to learn more about the project and provide input will be coming up later this year – stay tuned!
Related access options
The Kent Station garage often fills up early. Consider these options to get to the station:
- Reserved carpool parking: Sound Transit offers carpool parking permits to groups of two or more commuters who regularly drive together to catch the bus or train. Permits give you access to priority parking areas during the weekday morning rush hour. For more information, please visit our carpool permit webpage. A permit program for solo drivers is also being considered; stay tuned for more information.
- Bicycle parking: Ever considered bicycling to the Sounder station? May is Bike Month, and a great time to try cycling. While bicycles are allowed on Sounder trains, we encourage our bicycling riders to take advantage of the bike parking available at all Sounder stations. For more information, visit our bike page, or contact email@example.com.
- King County Metro James St Park and Ride: This King County Metro park and ride is located about one-half mile west of the Sounder station (at 902 W James St), and is typically only one-third full. Several Metro bus routes (150, 158, 159, 166, and 180) pick up here and connect to the Sounder station. The lot is also about a 15-minute walk to the Station (via West James Street on the north or West Smith Street on the south).