Construction and traffic impacts during the week of Dec. 2
The contractor continues construction work on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Division Avenue and Stadium Way. On Hilltop, crews are welding rail on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way in between S. 15th Street and S. 18th Street and continue installing a water line on MLK Jr. Way from S. 9th Street to S. 7th Street. In addition, crews are installing utilities on MLK Jr. Way between S. 3rd St. and S. 5th St., using "jack-and-bore" operations. On Division Avenue, crews continue utility work near K Street. The contractor is installing track and foundations for Link power poles on the east side of Stadium Way.
From Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, the contractor will not be working in specific areas in the Hilltop and Stadium business districts. These "holiday moratorium" areas include Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S. 9th Street and S. 15th Street, N. 1st Street from Tacoma Avenue to Division Avenue, and Division Avenue from Yakima Avenue to N. J Street. Crews will work on Division Avenue near K Street during this time, including the possibility of working one weekend in December. If the contractor requests to work in additional "holiday moratorium" areas, we will obtain input from adjacent businesses.
Construction and traffic restrictions on Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S. 17th Street, S. 16th Street, S. 7th Street, Division Avenue, and Stadium Way
Week of Dec. 2
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 18th to S. 15th Streets – lane restrictions. Crews are welding rail segments on the east side of MLK Jr. Way in between S. 15th and S. 17th Streets. The longer rail strands are stored in the street right-of-way on the east side of MLK Jr. Way between S. 17th St. and S. 18th St. and may be stored in a second pile between S. 16th and S. 17th St. Two-way traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr. Way during rail welding and storage. S. 17th St. and S. 16th St. are both closed just east of the MLK Jr. Way intersection during welding. The crosswalk is closed at S. 17th Street, and sidewalk from S. 16th St. to S. 15th St. is closed during welding for safety.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 9th Street to S. 6th Street – lane restrictions and southbound lane closure. The contractor is installing a water line on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 9th Street to S. 7th Street. Crews will install pipe at the S. 7th St. intersection, which will close the southbound lane on MLK Jr. Way from 6th Avenue to S. 8th Street. S. 7th Street will be closed for half a block to the alley on either side of MLK Jr. Way.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. – lane restrictions. Crews are installing underground utilities on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S. 3rd St. to S. 5th St. near Jackson Hall and the Baker Center. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. Please allow extra time to get to your appointment.
- Division Avenue from J Street to K Street – lane closure. Division Avenue is closed to westbound traffic from J St. to K St/Martin Luther King Jr. Way to install utilities underground. In addition, the contractor will do utility work just north of K Street. Please follow the detour on 6th Ave. to Sprague Ave.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to the 705 onramp -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Crews are installing track and foundations for Link power poles on the east side of Stadium Way from Division Ave. to the 705 onramp. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to the 705 onramp. Please follow detour routes on St. Helens, Tacoma Avenue and Broadway, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from the 705 to Tacoma Avenue with left turns at S. 4th St. and Division Ave. Commerce St. also is open to two-way traffic. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place. Buses will follow detour routes.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities and installing track.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.