Early tree planting preparation along I-5 near NE 80th to NE 85th Streets
Starting Monday night, August 12th, Sound Transit’s contractor will begin to clear invasive vegetation, add topsoil, and hydro seed on WSDOT right-of-way east of Interstate 5 as part of Sound Transit’s tree replacement program. At a later date Sound Transit’s contractor will return to plant trees along this area.
Sound Transit works to minimize construction impact on the environment by working closely with partner agencies on our tree replacement program. To learn more about some of Sound Transit’s mitigation efforts, visit our website.
Invasive vegetation removal, topsoil addition, and hydro seeding along eastside of I-5, WSDOT right-of-way resulting in lane and street closures.
- Monday night, August 12th – Friday morning, August 16th, 9:00 p.m. – 5:00 a.m.
- Sunday night, August 18th – Friday morning, August 23rd, 9:00 p.m. – 5:00 a.m.
- Sunday night, August 25th – Friday morning, August 30th, 9:00 p.m. – 5:00 a.m.
Work zone is located on the WSDOT right-of-way planting strip near I-5 between the overpass NE 80th and NE 85th Streets (see map).
- Right lane will be closed on I-5 northbound between NE 80th and NE 85th Streets.
- I-5 northbound exit 172 to N 85th St / Aurora Ave N will be closed. Please reroute to exit 171 to Lake City Way or 173 to Northgate.
- NE 85th Street overpass above I-5 will be closed.
For the safety of the public Sound Transit ask that drivers focus on the road and keep traffic moving. Flaggers will be on site to direct traffic.
- A Temporary Noise Variance (TNV) has been issued for the overnight work.
- Construction equipment includes excavators, dump trucks, front-end loaders, blower trucks for top soil, and hydro seed trucks.