S 4th Street from Broadway to Stadium Way closes on September 30
Sound Transit's contractor is installing track and foundations for Link power poles on Stadium Way from Division Avenue to the 705 onramp. This work will result in closing S. 4th Street from Broadway to Stadium Way, starting on September 30 for about three to four weeks. Traffic can continue to go northbound on Stadium Way from the 705 onramp to Tacoma Avenue. While S. 4th Street is closed, the Division Avenue and Stadium Way intersection will be open to two-way traffic.
At the Division Avenue and J Street intersection, crews are working on underground utilities and will install a temporary sewer bypass near J Street and N. 3rd Street as soon as October 2. In addition, crews will do potholing and close the Division Avenue and J Street intersection on Saturday, October 5. Near Tacoma General Hospital, crews are installing utilities on the west side of Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S. 3rd Street to S. 5th Street.
In Hilltop, the contractor will move to the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S. 16th Street for stormwater work.
Looking ahead, the contractor plans to begin the water line work on Martin Luther King Jr. Way from 11th Street to 6th Avenue as early as October 7, starting with the section from 6th Avenue to 7th Street. Crews plan to install foundations for Link power poles on N 1st Street in the Stadium District in mid-October.
Construction and traffic restrictions on S 4th Street, Stadium Way, Division Avenue, J Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, and S 16th Street.
Week of September 30.
- S 4th Street from Broadway to Stadium Way – closed. S 4th Street from Broadway to Stadium Way is closed on Sept. 30 for about three to four weeks while crews install track on Stadium Way. Crews will first remove the pavement on the west side of Stadium Way from S 4th Street to the 705. While S 4th Street is closed, the Division Avenue and Stadium Way intersection will be open to two-way traffic. Crews also are installing foundations for Link power poles on Stadium Way. Access to condos/apartments on Stadium Way is open.
- Division Avenue and J Street intersection – lane and intersection closure. Division Avenue is closed to westbound traffic at J Street to install utilities underground. On Saturday, October 5, crews will do potholing in the intersection of Division Avenue and J Street, which will close this intersection on October 5 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. In addition, the contractor plans to install a temporary sewer bypass pipe near N 3rd Street and J Street as soon as October 2. There will be no parking near the bypass pipe. The alley between N J Street and K Street is closed to thru traffic at N 3rd Street.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way from S 3rd Street to S 5th Street – lane restrictions. Crews are installing underground utilities on the west side of MLK Jr. Way from S 3rd Street to S 5th Street near Jackson Hall and the Baker Center. Two-way traffic is maintained on MLK Jr. Way. Access to the hospitals and medical centers is open. To access Jackson Hall, please enter through the Jackson Hall parking garage or take the pedestrian tunnel from Tacoma General Hospital. Flaggers will assist pedestrians. Please allow extra time to get to your appointment.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way between S 14th to 16th Street – southbound lane closure. The southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way is closed at S 14th Street to S. 16th Street for stormwater work. Later this week, the stormwater work will move one block south to the intersection of MLK Jr. Way and S 16th Street. Then, the southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way will be closed from S 15th Street to S 17th Street.
- Stadium Way from Broadway to the 705 onramp -- southbound lane closure; use detours. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Broadway to the 705 onramp. Please follow detour routes on Broadway, St. Helens and Tacoma Avenue, and consider alternate routes to access downtown and/or the 705. Stadium Way continues to be open northbound from the 705 to Tacoma Avenue. Commerce St. also is open to two-way traffic. To access parking garages and driveways on Stadium Way, please travel north on Commerce Street or north on Stadium Way from the 705 off-ramp. Crews are installing track and foundations for Link power poles.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.