Sidewalk restoration along Northeast 43rd Street and Brooklyn Avenue Northeast in December
Construction crews building the U District Station will be restoring the sidewalks along the southern side of the light rail station construction site beginning as early as Monday, Dec. 1. This work will take approximately three weeks and is weather dependent.
Two sections of sidewalk will be restored:
- Sidewalk along the eastern side of Brooklyn Avenue Northeast, just south of the intersection with Northeast 43rd Street
- Sidewalk along the southern side of Northeast 43rd Street between Brooklyn Avenue Northeast and the alley just west of the "Ave"
These sidewalks were removed during utility relocation work this past spring and summer. Temporary asphalt paving occurred at that time. Crews will be restoring the sidewalks to concrete sidewalks with curb and gutter. A pedestrian railing will also be installed along the eastern side of Brooklyn Avenue Northeast, just south of the intersection with Northeast 43rd Street.
Pedestrian access will be provided through the area using pedestrian detours. Flaggers will be onsite to help pedestrians get around construction.
Businesses are open!
Access to businesses along Northeast 43rd Street (Brooklyn Avenue Dental and Ugly Mug Café) will be maintained during business hours. Please support local businesses during construction.
Northeast 43rd Street between Brooklyn Avenue Northeast and the alley west of the "Ave" is currently closed to motorists. The sidewalk restoration activities will not impact access to U Manor garage. There may be temporary short-term alley access impacts while crews are pouring concrete for the sidewalks.
What to Expect
- Noise from breaking up and removing existing asphalt and materials along Northeast 43rd Street and Brooklyn Avenue Northeast.
- Temporary use of pedestrian detours to get around the work.
- Equipment including trucks, excavators, jackhammers, compaction equipment, and vactor trucks.
- Noise from the placement of metal plates, gutters, and other heavy materials.
- Concrete trucks pouring concrete for the new sidewalks.
- Dust during the pouring of concrete.
Anticipated schedule for this work: Daytime hours between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. High impact noise activities between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekends.
Crews will work to minimize noise, dust, and debris to the extent possible.
Sidewalk restoration is one of the last activities to occur before crews can re-open Northeast 43rd Street between Brooklyn Avenue Northeast and the alley. Crews will also be installing the gold construction wall along the bridge, completing finish work on the bridge, installing traffic signage, and striping the roadway. Crews will re-open Northeast 43rd Street between Brooklyn Avenue Northeast and the alley to one-way eastbound traffic by early spring.