Utility work at N Tacoma Ave and N 1st St intersection begins the week of July 8
The contractor will begin underground utility work in the intersection of N Tacoma Ave and N 1st Street. This work includes building a temporary sewer bypass on N Tacoma Ave in between N 1st St and N 2nd St.
In Hilltop, crews will continue working on utilities at the Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S 11th Street intersection. In addition, crews started working on a sewer line at MLK Jr Way and S 17th St. The contractor continues to install Link power poles on Martin Luther King Jr Way from 6th Avenue to S 11th Street.
Stadium Way/N E St/N 1st St is closed to traffic just north of Division Avenue to N Tacoma Avenue. Construction will last the entire summer break to about September 4. Large trucks should follow the detour route from 9th Street to Tacoma Avenue. More.
Construction and traffic restrictions on N Tacoma Way, N 1st Street, Stadium Way, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, S 11th Street, and S 17th Street.
Week of July 8.
- N Tacoma Avenue and N 1st Street intersection – lane restrictions. The contractor will start replacing underground utilities (sewer, water and stormwater) in the intersection of N Tacoma Ave and N 1st St, N Tacoma Ave. will be open to two-way traffic. N 1st St will be closed at N Tacoma Ave. Crews will build a temporary sewer bypass on Tacoma Ave. between N 1st and N 2nd Streets. This bypass will last about one week. Utility work and rail installation will take place in this intersection until Sept 5.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S 11th Street intersection – northbound lane closure. Crews continue to work on underground utilities at the intersection of MLK Jr. Way and S 11th St. One lane of traffic will be maintained on MLK Jr. Way. The northbound lane of MLK Jr. Way will be closed for about a half block north and south of S 11th St. In addition, S 11th St is closed about a half block east of MLK Jr. Way. On Wednesday, July 10, 11th St will open on the east side and close on the west side of MLK Jr. Way. During non-working hours, MLK Jr. Way will be open to two-way traffic, and parking will be available. Utility work in this intersection is expected to last another 3-4 weeks.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S 17th Street intersection – southbound lane closure. Crews started working on the sewer line at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Way and S 17th Street. The southbound lane of MLK Jr. Way is closed from S 16th Street to S 18th Street. S 17th Street is closed on the west side of MLK Jr. Way for less than a half block. Please follow the detour on S J Street. This work is expected to take 2-3 weeks.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Way between 6th Ave and S 11th St – lane restrictions. Crews continue building foundations for the Link power poles on MLK Jr. Way. They are working in the west side of MLK Jr. Way from 6th Ave. going south to 11th St. Two-way traffic is maintained.
- Stadium Way between Division Avenue and N Tacoma Avenue – street closed. Stadium Way/NE Street/N 1st Street is closed to traffic just north of Division Avenue to N Tacoma Avenue. Construction will last the entire summer break to about September 4. Please follow detour routes on Stadium Way, N 1st Street, Division Avenue, NE Street, Broadway and Tacoma Avenue. Several crews are working in this area at the same time. They are installing sewer and stormwater utilities, removing asphalt, creating foundations for Link power poles, and doing electrical work. This week, they will prepare to install rail.
- Stadium Way from Division to 4th Street: southbound lane closure; use detours. Stadium Way is closed to southbound traffic from Division Avenue to the 4th Street. Crews installed the first track on Stadium Way south of Division Avenue. This "test track" is being inspected. After the test track is approved, crews will install the next rail segment below this area. In addition, crews are installing foundations for the Link power poles.
- Driveway and pedestrian access is maintained, although some sidewalks and crosswalks will be temporarily closed. Pedestrian detours will be in place.
- Construction noise related to replacing the underground utilities.
- Large construction equipment or materials may be in the right-of-way.
- Work will generally take place during the daytime hours unless otherwise noted. Daytime hours during the week are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The contractor usually works less hours.
- Businesses are open during construction.
- Plan ahead and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Due to inclement weather or unforeseen issues, dates and times are subject to change.
Outreach Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-208-0586
After-hours construction hotline: 888-298-2395