Sound Transit is planning to rename downtown Seattle's University Street Station, and we are asking for public input beginning September 9. With three new stations coming to the U District, Roosevelt and Northgate in 2021, renaming University Street Station will reduce confusion and provide a better customer experience. We have developed six naming options that conform with our station naming policy (see below), and the Sound Transit Board will consider public input before making a decision in early 2020.
Station naming criteria
- Reflect the nature of the environment
- Be brief, easy to read and remember
- Avoid commercial references
- Avoid similar names/words used in existing facilities
- Limited to 30 characters (including spaces)
- Comply with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
Current station name options
Location based names:
- Seneca Street
Culturally based names:
- Arts District
- Downtown Arts District
Landmark based names:
- Benaroya Hall
How to vote
There are a number of in-person voting opportunities available at University Street Station:
- September 12th 3 – 6 pm
- September 17th 10 am – 2 pm
- September 26th 6 – 10 am
- September 28th 2 – 6 pm
You can also vote online.
Your feedback will help inform the Sound Transit board when they make a final name decision later this year or early next year.