Major transportation projects often require the purchase or use of private property. In some cases this means moving people from their homes or businesses. Sound Transit's comprehensive acquisition and relocation assistance program is designed to:
- Treat affected property owners and tenants fairly.
- Minimize hardships.
- Maintain communications with all parties involved.
The property acquisition process includes:
- Appraisal by an independent appraiser.
- Appraisal reviewed for completeness and accuracy.
- Sound Transit makes offer to purchase.
- Property owners are given a reasonable opportunity to consider and respond to the offer.
What property owners can expect
- Relocation benefits, including reimbursement of moving expenses and replacement housing payment.
- Relocation services, provided by a qualified relocation agent who will determine need, explain benefits, provide current housing inventories, offer assistance and advice, and assist with filing claims.
See also: Property Acquisition and Residential Relocation Handbook
See also: Property Acquisition and Business Relocation Handbook